Monday, September 7, 2009

Harvest Monday - 7 September 2009

Wednesday's harvest

My harvest this week has really fallen off as the tomatoes have quit producing. Well they haven't actually quit totally. They are still claiming the prize for highest harvest weight of any of my categories. But at only 2.29lbs for the week they are way off the high two weeks ago of 32.58lbs. My tomatoes now have blight in their stems so it is time to pull them. I'll be doing that this week.

Thursday's harvest

The cucurbits pulled out into second place. I harvested a little over a pound of cukes and likewise for zukes.

Friday's harvest

The beans take third place at just over a pound. Yes my beans have finally started to produce a small amount again. I might just get some more frozen for the winter.

Saturday's huge bunching onions, over an inch thick

The fall crops are not really starting yet. I did harvest a tiny bit of lettuce. This week I think the first head of broccoli will be picked. Fall crops are slowly getting ramped up, but they won't have nearly the poundage of the summer crops, unless of course there are any potatoes that are under that compost. I still hold out a small amount of hope for potatoes.

Sunday's harvest

So here are the weekly tally totals:

  • Alliums 0.56
  • Beans 1.02 lbs
  • Berries 0.83 lbs
  • Cucurbits 2.18 lbs
  • Greens 0.11 lbs
  • Herbs 0.06 lbs
  • Peppers 0.14 lbs
  • Tomatillo 0.15 lbs
  • Tomatoes 2.29 lbs

Weekly total: 7.35 lbs
Weekly spent: $0
Yearly total: 155.40 lbs
Yearly earned: $563.40

If you would like to join in showing off your harvest, put your name and URL into Mr. Linky below. It doesn't matter how big or small your harvest is. You don't have to count the pounds like I do. If you have had a harvest this last week, show us and join in!BTW sorry to those that came earlier and I had the messed up Mr. Linky. I often seem to forget to change the date! It is fixed now.

15 comments:

  1. I marvel at the excellent harvests you have managed this year! Want to visit Henbogle for some consulting? Your harvest of beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the patterns of green on your zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous harvest once again, Daphne. A fine example of what veg gardening is all about !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ali, lol and then you would have to give me some consulting on how to get sweet peppers to grow here.

    Emily, I love that zucchini too. It is so much more interesting than the normal green. Next year I think it might be the only one I grow since I like the taste better too (Costata Romanesca for those that don't know the variety).

    Miss M, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The onions are impressive! And lovely cukes too, are those for pickles or fresh eating? The Costata Romanesca is a good zucchini, and I was very happy with my Cocozelle this year also. Is your freezer bulging at the seams yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful harvest Daphne! I love the color of your red peppers! Just gorgeous!

    I'm making my very first batch of tomato sauce today!!! Yeah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, as usual. A question: how do manage to have a summer garden and a fall garden going at the same time? I thought only us Californians could get away with that. My fall veggies are just sprouted seedlings right now; nothing's in the ground but a couple rows of peas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I'm late today! I'm canning more salsa, with all those tomatoes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very impressive yield as usual. Nice lettuce; I tried to grow a fall crop of lettuce in my backyard but the seedlings ended up stringy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was going to inquire about what variety the zucchini is - but that has already been answered! It looks interesting and I need to find a replacement for my green zucchini - (Sungreen)- which has quit producing on me early in the summer two years in a row. I love the straight green fruit but really do not like the work stoppage they seem to impose early on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle, they are pickling cukes, but I eat them fresh occasionally too. Mostly they are for pickling. My freezer is not bulging this year, but it is doing pretty well. My neighbor has gotten the chance to sample the wares too.

    Toni, I think that is why I grow cayennes - so I can look at the ristra as they dry. I don't use nearly as much as I grow. Congrats on your tomato sauce.

    BB, well the fall garden for the most part doesn't follow the summer garden. The seasons are too short. In my garden the fall garden follows the spring garden. I harvest things like Chinese cabbage and broccoli at the end of June. The fall garden gets planted in July. So the ground gets about a two week break. The spinach and mache are following summer crops. They followed the onions and the eggplant. Typical fall plants like Komatsuna, tatsoi, and lettuce are just succession cropped all year long. My fall crops this year are broccoli, Chinese cabbage and kale. I tried to plant some more carrots after my peas, but they didn't germinate well for me. I might get a couple but not many. It was too late to try again so I didn't.

    Annie's Granny, lol you are always canning something.

    Sally, only my lettuce in the shade did well. I did plant a bit of lettuce at the end of August that seems to be doing quite well in the sun, but the earlier August seedlings in the sun are stringy too.

    kitsapFG, this is the first year I'm growing Costata Romenesca. It is a weird zucchini because it vines more than most. Right now all my zucchini have powdery mildew, but I'm going to see if they can produce a bit more anyway. I almost have enough for all the zucchini bread and winter soups, but not quite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daphne your harvests are beautiful! I keep waiting and waiting for my chilies to turn red, but they haven't yet. My quantities are way down too. You're still harvesting a nice variety!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What variety of cukes are they? I'm looking for a good pickler!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear, two days late this time!

    I was going to ask how you use your cayennes as I've got a bumper crop too - but I see that you don't use them all. That makes me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lzyjo, Thanks.

    Jaxter, I'm growing Diamant cukes. They are parthenocarpic plants so can set without pollination. I like them because the seeds never get big even if you leave them on a bit too long (they don't have male flowers either so are never pollinated if you don't plant another variety). They also don't need the bees early in the season, which is sometimes a problem here. The flaw of course is that you can't save seed from them.

    Amanda, lol that is OK. I thought about telling people to post either Monday or Tuesday. I expected that the holiday might prevent some from posting.

    ReplyDelete