Monday, October 17, 2011

Harvest Monday - October 17, 2011

I was gone all week long to visit my parents in Colorado (last Harvest Monday was scheduled). When I got back the Asian greens had filled in the spaces that I had thinned out. So they needed to be thinned again. The Fun Jen will get a lot larger, but the bok choy is pretty much at its adult size. There are a few little ones hiding though. I cut the larger ones out to give them a chance to grow up.

Yet more Asian greens from my little 2.5 x 8 foot patch. Along with carrots hiding under the tatsoi and some huge bunching onions. The fall garden by the kitchen - my circle garden - is growing well this fall as is the rock wall garden. But the main garden where my spinach is is stagnating. It just doesn't get enough sun to let things grow well. I have a huge patch of spinach there, but I won't get anything this fall. I'll have to wait until spring when all the leaves are off my neighbor's tree and the sun comes out from behind his house. I get lots of sun in the spring, but not enough in the fall. The carrots show this too. The carrots in the circle garden are already being picked, but the carrots in the main bed are still very small and struggling. I hope they have time to bulk up, but I'm not counting on it. I should have planted peas there since at least the peas are tall and can reach for the sun. I'll remember that for future years and make sure to have the shorter fall crops in the circle bed and any tall fall crops in the main bed.

My dill has self seeded everywhere as has my cilantro. The cilantro is just an inch tall (again it is in the main bed with little sun and the bad part of the main bed at that), but the dill is growing well and I have lots to pick. Last night I made carrots and dill for a dinner. They were very good.

  • Alliums 0.86 lbs
  • Carrots 1.99 lbs
  • Greens 3.60 lbs
  • Herbs 0.34
  • Lettuce unknown
  • Pepper unknown
  • Raspberries unknown
  • Weekly Total 6.79 lbs
  • Weekly Spent $0
  • Yearly Total 514.67 lbs
  • Veggie Garden was worth $1101.49
  • Fruit 1.87 lbs

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

27 comments:

  1. I do love dill! Your Asian greens are looking fabulous. I like your point about growing tall plants in shaded areas - I probably could access more sun if I thought about the height of a plant more - thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Asian greens look amazing! I am so jealous. Mine are still quite small...my fault for not starting them sooner.

    I think that you have a typo on your poundage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asian greens are shining for you this fall. They look so yummy. I wish I could get my act together and do some serious fall planting. I hope you had a nice vacation and are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious looking Asian greens. I too am going to try and get my act together next year and plan my fall planting better (that's what I told myself last year).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great greens! Hope you had a good trip to Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The asian greens are really looking gorgeous. It's truly amazing what sunshine (or the lack thereof) will do for a crop. Many of my beds are largely in shade now and so the growth is slowed almost to a stop. I have to get everything to a harvestable state of maturity before that happens and then just keep them protected and alive until I am ready to harvest them. Some items I seed now with the expectation that they will germinate and then largely stall out for the winter ... ready to spring into growth with the return of the sun in spring. Luckily the greenhouse and a few other beds get more sun so I do get some new growth through the late fall - just not a huge amount.

    Your new garden has produced really well for you this year. I know the yearly total is not really complete since there was a period of time when you were not feeling well and others were harvesting the garden and not weighing. Even with that though the yearly total is quite a lot! And it is a young garden just getting going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your asian greens! I think I will have to try growing some myself! Again, I'm jealous of your self seeding dill and cilantro...the only herb i got to grow in the yard this year was basil...which was yummy, but lonely ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm hoping my dill will self-seed before the temps drop--i would LOVE to have dill harvests like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every year our gardens seem to begin and end with Asian greens...and lots of it. It's a good thing we love them so much!

    I really have to try that Fen Jen. It sound like a great producer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't plant any asian greens this fall, I don't know why I didn't think of it. Yours look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Daphne you can't give up harvest Monday, I still have to brag about my beets and carrots that I need to dig.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Asian greens are amazing... they grow so fast and well. We got a few from our CSA, and have been cooking them in almost everything. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Daphne, how to you use your Asian greens? I'm looking for new ways to cook them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Asian greens already?! I think I was a little too late in getting mine in the ground by seed and relented with a nursery six-pack yesterday. Yours look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely harvest another thing Iwant in my garden Dill

    ReplyDelete
  16. Someday... someday we'll try asian greens. Belle would certain cook with them in the kitchen! Our "Spring Garden" on the north side of the house is not so springy this fall. Like you we planted lots of spinach, but there's just not enough sun for it. The cabbage and cauliflower is doing a little better, but the morning sun is blocked by the tree leaves. It remains yet to be seen whether they will mature before it gets to cold.

    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The length of sunshine becomes very important as we try to get the maximum yields from our gardens. I'm thinking that lack of sufficient length of sun time is what caused some of my cucs to not produce. I noticed before they died, that until midday, they were in the shadow of the house. In the summer, they're not. Lots of important things to learn as we go through different seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Full sun does make a huge difference in how well the garden produces. It's a double whammy at this time of year to have shade and short days. I'm lucky to have all day sun once it breaks above the ridge in mid to late morning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic to see that You grow dill 'over there'! :) It is a spice that almost everyone I know is associating with Sweden and our 'gravad lax' (salmon that is not cooked, but marinated in salt, sugar and dill) or our specially cooked crayfish! Lovely! Have nerver tastes dill with carrots ,but think that I must try that now! Thanks for the tip! Have a nice day/evening! :) Mia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Found you through Michelle at From Seed to Table, and am amazed at all that everyone is doing! This looks exactly like the growing group I'm looking for to compare notes with, especially with fellow New Englanders!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice greens Daphne. The carrots & dill sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice greens, I love those white stem dwarf bok choy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We haven't had great luck with any greens... I'm going to try again this fall/winter and see what happens. Do you have any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how awesome that you are still getting to harvest so many things! They look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That basket of Asian greens looks tasty. I've never grown them, but you make them look tempting as a garden addition!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oops.. used the wrong link for the first one. The 2nd one is correct. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It seems that the only way I can participate in Harvest Monday is to do my blog post on Sunday. Ah, but sadly you don't have this week's Harvest Monday up. I'm going to be gone the rest of the week, helping to take care of my three little granddaughters while their mommy cares for our newborn GRANDSON. Scroll back a couple of posts to see his picture. I'll try back later today, but I'll be leaving for San Diego soon.

    ReplyDelete