Strawberries are perennials, but after three years they really don't produce much. Basically the strawberry bed needs to be redone at that point. I don't like to lose production. So for the June bearers I redo part of the bed every year. My beds were all created last spring a year ago. I had ten plants. Those plants were put in along the front of the bed at about a spacing of a foot apart. The rest of the bed got filled in by runners. It was a lot of work, but I pulled any runners that weren't on the one foot grid. Well mostly. They do get out of hand. Both the Earlyglow and the Sparkle send out massive quantities of runners. And it is a weekly chore to snip off all the runners as they start to form.
This year once the Earlyglow finished producing berries, I pulled up the front half of the bed and cleaned up all the debris. I added some fertilizer and a layer of compost. Then I took the runners from the other plants and spaced them. I have some stakes that I use to make sure they are put in the right spots and don't move. All the other runners I don't want. But Donna has asked for some to start a bed. So I'll let some grow and have her come in and dig them up as soon as they start rooting.
I'm not really sure yet how I'll redo the everbearers. They produce all year long so there is no down time to rip them up. I'm thinking maybe do a quarter of the bed every year and rotate it around. My everbearer, Seascape, doesn't send out nearly as many runners. So replacing plants is more problematic too. I'm sure if I still have strawberries in ten year I'll have it all figured out. But for now it is my first time growing the day neutral types.