Yesterday I brought some of the Ailsa Craig onions in to the basement to dry. The red onions that were down there were braided and hung up. I now have all my storage onions braided up. I have five braids of Copra and three braids of Redwing.
I finally got around to fixing up the apple tree. I started with about 50 apples on the tree after I thinned it out (you can't see the whole tree here, this is the bottom part). But there are just 17 left (I think) after the squirrels. The first chore with the apple tree was to straighten it up as a wind storm - along with too many apples - knocked it against the fence. The second was to get the netting on to the bottom part of the tree. The top part that was against the fence was totally stripped of apples already. Sigh. At least the defenses on the peach tree seem to be working. I put netting all around it and the bottom is tacked down about every foot with u-pins. Hopefully the same strategy will work with the apple tree. Next year I'll have to get the tree protection on much earlier so I lose less fruit.
It is almost time to plant the fall garden. The seedlings are two weeks old and are getting hardened off. I think I might plant tomorrow morning since it will be cloudy and rainy the next two days. I've got two of the three beds prepped and two of the three row covers on too. The one in the photo is actually netting that you would buy in a fabric store. All it has to do is keep out the cabbage butterflies. I found it for $0.98/yard so hopefully it will work out. I haven't a clue how long it will last in the UV, but I'm hoping. I really do hate Agribon. If it lasts decently, I'll buy some more. I could use some wider material for my beds if I want them raised up more, but at 70" it works for the low hoops. Though right now I have the hoops only over part of the bed as I don't need both sides yet. I want to keep seeding every couple of weeks in this bed. Hopefully I'll do it. I have a tendency to not keep up with succession sowings.