Monday, December 15, 2014

Harvest Monday, 15 November 2014

Last week I wrote about interesting things I was making for dinner. Well I was pretty boring in my dinners recently. Though at least they are very garden centric. The sweet potato is 'Purple'. And the spinach was also from the garden from my frozen stores.

A couple days later I had something not that much different. I bit of left over sweet potato with spinach. I think the day before it was left over sweet potato and kale. I tend to eat greens everyday. They are either kale, spinach, chard, or broccoli.

I'm going through them at a fast rate. I'm sure they won't last the winter. Normally they would, but I've been eating more than usual. In the past I would really cut back on my vegetable intake over the winter, but I'm trying not to this winter. I'm trying to keep up the healthy eating all through winter even without the fresh veggies inundating me from the garden. I hope I succeed.

And I always have a second vegetable for dinner besides the greens. These are the colorful ones. The oranges and purples. For dinner it is usually sweet potatoes or squash. Last year I would add the carrots into that mix. But so far I've been eating them every day for lunch in some form. I might make some squash soup for lunch soon and then maybe carrots will hit the dinner menu more often.

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that purple Sweet Potato is VERY purple! They say that different coloured veggies give you different vitamins, so you should be getting a good mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never come across purple sweet potatoes before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't eaten any of my Purple sweet potatoes yet. I've been trying to use up the winter squashes, at least the ones that don't keep as long. I love the green though, and I wish I had more spinach. There never seems to be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those potatoes ARE very purple - do they taste the same as regular sweet potatoes? I've been into the soups & stews lately and that's usually where my greens end up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very similar, but do taste a touch different.

      Delete
  5. My question is the same as Margaret's. They must be densely packed with antioxidant pigments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your meals look wonderfully simple - not at all boring! In fact, I wish I had some of that ... I really didn't have enough for long-term storage, all of my greens are gone as are most (but not all) of the winter squash. I have a few carrots and plenty of potatoes. I must work on the "grow more to store" concept next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those purple sweet potatoes really are unique, I love the color. I tend to eat more greens than ever during the winter, that's the one thing that my garden reliably produces at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, yes the purple sweet potato is amazing. Hmm I really need to put my greenhouse up on the allotment so I can have a go at growing sweet potatoes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I have never seen a purple sweet potato. It really stands out. I assume it tastes the same? Your frozen spinach looks so much better than mine. I wonder what I am doing wrong. Good luck on staying healthy this winter. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have to agree with everyone else that is one purple sweet potato! looks great

    ReplyDelete