Friday, October 16, 2009

Gack! Snow!

Snow is not unheard of in October, but it is unusual. November is much more normal. Last year we had our first snow storm in December. Usually we don't get any accumulation if we do get October snow. For Boston the snowiest October had a grand total of 0.4 inches of snow. My little hill has a strange microclimate. My first fall frost is usually about a week or two later than the first frost at the bottom of the hill, but I will often get snow when that area is still getting rain. I will be getting to my real post soon, but I couldn't help but share more of the weird weather we have been having this year.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes! Good thing you have been busy prepping your garden for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Too early! It looks and feels like snow here too, but I think it will stay a bit south of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuck, I saw it on the news. Down here on the south shore we got frosted a few nights ago, but only got rain today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kitsapFG, I was feeling just that today. Thank goodness everything is out of the garden.

    GrafixMuse, it is way too early. Luckily it is all melted now. Next week should be warmer thank goodness.

    The Mom, at least I didn't have to shovel and it is all gone now. The ground is too warm for it to stick for very long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burr! Good thing it never stays long this time of year. We had some slushy rain on Thursday but no snow or accumulations yet. I remember a few Halloweens with snow on the ground.

    ReplyDelete