Monday, October 12, 2009

Harvset Monday October 12, 2009

This last week was all about pulling out all the tender crops and cleaning up. The pineapple tomatillos came out so the last harvest was larger than before. I picked up all the tomatillos that fell to the ground. Any that hadn't filled out their husk were tossed. The other will probably ripen just fine.

I had a lot of parsley that had hidden in the beans and zucchinis. I ripped them up. I don't need them to go to seed next year. I have plenty in the herb garden for seed. Since I was ripping them up I harvested the greens and dried them. I also pulled the roots. I kept two because they looked so pretty and I thought they were edible. After some research I found out they tend to be woody and aren't worth eating. They sure smelled good though.

Sunday the frost warnings came out. I don't think I'll get one, but I picked all the peppers on the plants anyway. I don't think with the cold weather they will get much larger even without a frost. Ditto for the cucumbers.

As always in the fall I had a nice raspberry harvest this week. The best fall harvest yet for the berries. I only take photos when I get a nice flush as I got this Tuesday.

Now onto the tally.

  • Alliums 0.16 lbs
  • Beans 0.32 lbs
  • Berries 1.08 lbs
  • Broccoli 0.16 lbs
  • Cucurbits 0.33 lbs
  • Greens 0.19 lbs
  • Peppers 0.69 lbs
  • Tomatillo 0.59 lbs

Weekly total: 4.11 lbs
Weekly spent: $0
Yearly total: 199.10 lbs
Yearly earned: $698.55

If you would like to join in showing off your harvest, put your name and URL into Mr. Linky below. It doesn't matter how big or small your harvest is. You don't have to count the pounds like I do. If you have had a harvest this last week, show us and join in!

13 comments:

  1. Yum, look at that bounty, Daphne! Wow!!! So tell us, what will you make with your tomatillos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice harvest! I've been meaning to ask, what kind of raspberries do you have? I might be adding some next spring....
    We had a frost last night, it got down to 28°F, brr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomatillos are something I've never tried, and wouldn't know what to do with them if I grew them. Your cucumbers are very strange looking, I'm guessing the variety is supposed to be that way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daphne - I envy the fact that you're harvesting soft fruit right now. I can't wait to grow raspberries and day neutral strawberries. I will have to try the variety you have. How many years did it take for you to get a harvest this size?

    Also, you were probably right to pull your pepper plants. It's been awfully cold here in Methuen. I think we're supposed to get flurries later on this week and maybe snow showers this weekend. Yikes! I will have to do a fall clean up of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. our friend Ben, I make salsa usually. I have to expand my repertoire though. I can add them to anything that I would want pineapples in, since they taste like pineapples. I think I'm going to start adding them to my lunch tortillas. They would make a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. henbogle, I grow Heritage raspberries. We barely missed the frost last night. I don't have a thermometer, but I go by what the nearest private weather station says. So I got down to 34F. Close, but no frost. I'm in a pretty protected area. I live near the top of a hill and the garden is between trees and next to my house. I prepared for it anyway. We may well get an early frost this week since the predictions say it will be cold.

    EG, nope they are weird looking since they grew in cold weather. They really don't like it. The variety produces tasty cukes even when it is poor conditions so even though they are weird they won't be bitter.

    Thomas, I wrote a post just for you about my raspberries, but I really recommend the Heritage variety for this area. Brrr it is cold this morning. I think I'll wait a while before heading to the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, you saved the best for last, those raspberries look so good! I almost feel a bit guilty about showing off my tomato harvest when you are on the verge of getting nipped by frost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, raspberries ! *drool*, *drool*, *drool*.
    Lovely harvest ! Can't wait to grow tomatillos next year.

    Nada harvest for me. My Fall crops aren't cooperating much and at this point, I think my season is pretty much over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those raspberries look amazing! I think I need to try to revive my raspberry patch behind the shed. Those look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We got a hard frost last night with temps down to 28 F.

    I only had one harvest this past wee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle, well I'm starting to dream of the next garden and what tomatoes I'll grow then. You grow so much more than I do.

    Miss M, I'm making everyone think about raspberries next year. I have to say I do love them.

    GrafixMuse, thanks. You should get those raspberries up and running again. An over grown one sounds painful though.

    Emily, ouch. We are going to get some low temps, but the predictions are only flirting with freezing, so I might get lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the frost doesn't happen; I still have basil in the ground. Nice raspberries; I find that they are easier to grow than I had thought, if they are in the right place with enough sun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sally, they are really easy to grow here. They are water lovers and we have gotten so much water in the past couple of years they have been happy.

    ReplyDelete