Friday, December 24, 2010

Meeting the Neighbors

I grew up in the mountains of Colorado where people live on acres but still everyone knows everyone else. If someone moves in. There is a coffee or party or something so you can meet them. My mother is too blind to drive and she gets a ride into the pool every week with one neighbor. Another owns a nursery/greenhouse were you can order plants or flowers. So if I want to send flowers to my mother I always order from her. Most won't deliver up there and she will bring it up when she gets out from work. The nearest bus is two miles away. When I used to walk to and from the stop I would get offers from the neighbors for a ride, so I wouldn't have to walk as far. My dad had a tractor and a plow for it. On the rare times the county couldn't get to our little dirt road for days, he would plow it. The fast internet is a co-op which was started by my dad. The women would gather yearly to make crafts and sell them for money for our volunteer fire department (which at the time wasn't funded by taxes, but that has changed). We all relied on everyone else.

City living is different. You might say hi to your close neighbors, but the ones two doors down, you might not know at all. I'd gotten to know a few of our neighbors, but not many. People really keep to themselves. They will return the hi, but don't want to talk. So this year I made up 10 holiday baskets. It is amazing how people will open up at least a bit when you give them something homemade. It was nice to talk at least a few minutes to those that surrounded me.

One just two doors down is also another MIT couple (both my hubby and I have degrees from MIT). So we chatted a bit. One neighbor I really have been wanting to meet. He composts; he has a garden; he plays with boffers with his son. (Boffers are foam swords and my daughter and I took German longsword classes years ago, so they are well known to us). He must be our kind of neighbor. Right? He lives right behind me, but the fence is 6' tall and we can't talk over the fence. Well we gave the basket to his daughter who answered the door. Then the next day he came to our door with his own home made gifts. Pickled quail eggs and mint mead. We talked for quite a while and I invited him to my birthday party.

Of the 10 baskets only 9 were delivered. The other we could never find. I'm guessing they are gone for the holidays. Do you all want to know what was in those baskets? Well too bad I'm telling you anyway. So here goes. I made blueberry ginger jam, chocolate fudge (Fluff never fail fudge, not the harder to make kind), English Toffee, whole wheat ginger snaps, oatmeal raisin cookies, Russian tea cakes, and snickerdoodles. I have to say. The family really enjoyed eating the last basket.

Daphne's English Toffee

  • 2 c butter
  • 2 1/2 c brown sugar
  • T corn syrup (more or less I never measure this, just a little)
  • T water (more or less I never measure this, just a little)
  • chocolate chips
  • slivered or chopped almonds (optional)

Prepare two pans ( I use either 9x13s or cookie sheets) by lining with parchment paper. Sprinkle with almonds so the pans are just covered. Put the first four ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat slowly stirring until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Cook over medium heat (stirring not necessary) until you reach 290F on a candy thermometer. Now most recipes call for 300F, but if I do that it starts to burn too much. So I go to 290F. Pour half the candy into one pan and half in the other. Let it cool for about five minutes then sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Once they melt spread the chocolate over the top evenly. Let it cool until it is cool enough to go into the fridge. Then put in the fridge until totally cool. Take out and break into pieces.

14 comments:

  1. How great of you to take the time to make all that and get out and meet the neighbors! Your right, it isn't very easy anymore! So glad you found a neighbor with some common interests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daphne,
    What a sweet idea. It must be your Colorado sunshine nature smiling through.

    Reading your blog is something I look forward to, and it never fails to make me smile.

    Happy holiday to you and yours, Daphne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Lucky neighbors you have. Christmas hugs, Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! We're blessed by great neighbors. I got some great treats from some of them this year. Most years I return the favors, but couldn't seem to get my act together this year. You have to love the fluff fudge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you,
    I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

    So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
    Since we're together, we might as well say,
    Would you be mine?
    Could you be mine?
    Won't you be my neighbor?

    ReplyDelete
  6. May be time to put a gate in the back fence, eh?
    Merry Christmas Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Daphne,

    I'm MIT, too. Small world :-) '65 and '69, Physics, where did the time go...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to you AND your neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas Daphne,

    from your Belmont neighbors, Kathy and Skippy (I work at MIT - Kathy, not Skippy)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have lived here over five years now and we have gotten to know our immediate neighbors reasonably well - but you are so right that it is not an easy thing to do these days. Brilliant idea to take them all a basket of goodies!

    Happy Holidays to you, your family, and your neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't had much time to be on the blog recently. Family is home. About 60 friends invaded my house yesterday (though technically my townhouse mates were the hosts, I was still busy. The door between the units was open so the hordes were on both sides). I've been having a great time, but not much time to blog.

    I just wanted to say to everyone Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.

    Granny I'd love to be your neighbor too as long as you don't play with puppets and wear button down sweaters. And Kathy you do live close if you are in Belmont. If you ever want to visit the garden once it has growing things in it, just email me. I used to go by the Belmont Victory Gardens all the time (it was between my old house and my husbands work). I probably saw one of your gardens, but never knew which one it was.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year.
    It would be very nice to have you as neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uh, oh, the plot thickens. Hubby said months ago that your photo looks like someone he once knew (aged a few years) and now you say you went to MIT - so did he. Do you remember an NC country boy in your college days?

    ReplyDelete