Monday, August 29, 2011

Harvest Monday - August 29 2011

My first harvest was the harvest I found when I got back from vacation. I had beans in the fridge and tomatoes on the counter.

Tuesday's Harvest

Since Tuesday was my first pickings since being away, it was pretty large. It featured a huge zucchini and lots and lots of peppers, both hot and sweet.

Friday's Harvest

Friday's harvest also had a huge zucchini, but not as large as the first one. And the first of the butternut squash. This one set early. The others have all set in the last month. I hope they have time to ripe.

Saturday's Harvest

Saturday's harvest was about bringing things in before Irene hit. I probably would have left the eggplants up for a few more days, but better safe than sorry. I picked any of the Lemon Queen sunflower heads that had gotten heavy with seed. I figured the weight alone swinging back and forth would bring them down. Those boards are about 4" wide so that large head was 8" across. I picked a lot of these bags of dried beans. These were the cranberry beans. I'll be adding to them over time as the pods dry out. Neither the sunflowers or dried beans have been weighed the seed has to be separated first.

And Irene? Well she did a bit of damage, but it wasn't too bad. She bent down one of my dwarf fruit trees as you can see above. That tree is now upright and staked. My beans were leaning over I have them temporarily propped up. But they will need a better job probably tomorrow. I'm busy all today and they aren't about to fall over if they didn't yesterday. I lost one sunflower, but the rest are leaning crazily into the path. I hope I can pull them back. We lost one branch of our maple tree. It didn't seem to hit anything. And ripped one of the row covers off my bed. So all in all not too bad. The beans were fixed in the middle of the storm. Yes I'm a crazy gardener that went out into the storm to deal with her bean towers. The eye had passed when I got out to fix my peach tree though. I got about three inches of rain according to my weather station. But the output said it was raining cats and dogs (yes it literally said that, made me laugh) and at the maximum rate. So I think was it raining too hard for the gauge. If I get a chance I'll deal with my other rain gauge and see if it said three inches too.

  • Beans 3.32 lbs
  • Cucurbits 7.01 lbs
  • Eggplant 1.70 lbs
  • Pepper 9.10 lbs
  • Potato 6.03 lbs
  • Tomato 7.66 lbs
  • Weekly Total 34.82 lbs
  • Weekly Spent $0
  • Yearly Total 442.01 lbs
  • Veggie Garden was worth $886.09
  • Fruit 1.69 lbs

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

43 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear the damage only seems to be minor. It looks like it was a real good harvest week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Daphne, how pleased I am to read that Irene was not too bad! Must be a great relief:)
    Take care,
    Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad Irene wasn't too horrible. Your harvest looks fabulous as always. Do you grow sunflower seeds to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What BEAUTIFUL peppers! Love them! Glad you survived Irene alright! Funny you went out into the storm to save your beans. I might have too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The harvest this week is quite bountiful. I am envious of the butternut squash as I am without much hope of getting anything off of my plants - they started setting fruit way too late as a result of our cold summer. Your peppers sure are pumping out the fruit now.

    I am glad Irene was fairly gentle on your property. It could have been so much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Shawn Ann, beautiful peppers!

    Glad to hear Irene didn't cause too much damage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what relief to hear that You and Your garden is OK! Been thinking about it all yesterday! Really nice harvest pictures! Take care! Mia

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like the damage from the storm was minimal....thank goodness! I think that we were all pretty lucky considering what was forecasted!

    Have fun getting your garden back into shape!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your page only a couple weeks ago. It is nice that Irene didn't sweep it away before I got a good chance to know it.

    Good morning, good harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy to ear that Irene wasn't too bad! I had to deal with the annoying volcanic ashes from Etna and it was exhausting

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great harvest Daphne! I'm really happy that we're getting a good pepper crop this year despite the cooler and wetter than normal August we've been having.

    The winds were unbelievable yesterday. My pumpkin vine was ripped to shreds. And I'm gonna have to spend time straightening up all of my brassicas today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you weathered the storm alright, lookslike you got some wind

    ReplyDelete
  13. You take such beautiful pictures of your harvest. Everything looks very tasty. Sorry to see your tree down. Hopefully it's limber enough to be saved.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear that Irene was easy on you. I'm a new follower and found you through The Life of a Novice. Thanks for the link-up! Looking forward to getting to know you and many of your followers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad to hear Irene didn't do too much damage. The harvests look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful harvest Daphne! I am curious what peppers in the second photo, the brownish ones. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear you escaped with only minor damages. ?Fabulous harvest!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear everything turned out ok! Beautiful peppers! I keep waiting to harvest my butternut squash and am thinking our potatoes won't be ready for another month...so...I'll drooling over yours!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will be checking out the damage after work today. I am hoping it is minimal. I guess I will find out in 6.5 hours.
    My big harvest last week was on friday as I tried to bring in as much as possible before Irene hit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those zucchini sure do get huge seemingly overnight! The peppers are beautiful and the tomatoes look luscious. I'm so glad for you that Irene wasn't too tough on the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am glad that the damage was not too significant. Your harvests look amazing, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you are OK. Hurricanes aren't fun. You harvest is terrific. I need to take lessons from you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good to see your post was not about major storm damage. Those butternuts should ripen up OK if you don't get an early frost.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your dark bell peppers! Glad to know that the garden was spared overall! Looking forward to more beautiful pics of your harvests in the coming weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love all of your harvest. I've got loads of tomatoes, summer squash and apples. The squirrels have been attacking my sunflowers so I had to cut them down and hang them in the garage. Such a bummer because I love watching them turn bulbous and seedy. A true sign that fall is coming! I see all your sunflower heads. Do you cut them down before they are fully seedy too?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad to see very little damage from Irene. Happy Harvest!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad there isn't much damage and that you got those harvest in before hand.

    I never get to harvest the sunflower seeds, the goldfinches start eating them just as they develop.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad your garden is safe without much damage.
    Those peppers are gorgeous and YAY for the first butternut squash.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very happy to hear that you made it through Irene.. and that your garden did too! Great harvest this week. All those peppers! Lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice harvest. Your plot is really productive!
    Good to hear you were not hit to badly by Irene. They say we are having the remains of her later this week.
    Could have done without more rain ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Glad to hear that Irene didn't treat you too badle ... I'm still waiting to hear from my father up in Gardner ...

    ReplyDelete
  32. The harvest looks great, what a nice homecoming.

    Glad to hear that your damage from Irene was minimal.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great harvests, glad you made it through the storm relatively unharmed.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Those peppers look wonderful. I'm jealous. Glad to hear everything was pretty much ok when you got home. Worrying about it can be stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great harvest Daphne! Good to hear you made it through the storm too! I heard norther parts of the States and Quebec got hit with a huge amount of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  36. fabulous harvests as always. i'm glad irene didn't get you too bad. my aunt lives in MD and is still without power.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good to hear Irene did not do too much damage. Lovely butternut squash.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks everyone.

    Liz, In general most of my sunflowers are not to eat. They are for the birds, but some I do eat. Not many as sunflowers are really hard to eat and I wasn't growing the largest of them.

    Green Bean, No I wait until the seeds are ripe to cut my sunflowers down. I've got enough for me and the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Daphne great harvest as always. I am late finishing my post. Glad you garden weathered the storm. Mine did OK have a few tomato plants that need to be restaked but they are just leaning so not in danger. We got 5.8" of rain as if we needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful harvest. I like the zucchini. It's good to see Irene wasn't too rough on you. In our community garden, bean towers and tomato cages were toppled and my bean and cucumber trellis was blown down, but the sunflowers were still standing, unfazed by Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great harvests, Daphne! I'm glad to hear that you didn't have to much damage from Irene. I, too, would have been outside trying to right my garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. more more tomatoes... bravo daphne..

    what is the purple black thing beside red peppers? look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete