Monday, June 17, 2013

Harvest Monday, June 17th, 2013

The harvests started with me picking most of my kohlrabi as I had to plant the last of the sweet potatoes.

Over three pounds of strawberries were picked.

This basket contains the disappointing Napa cabbage harvest that was attacked by earwigs. I picked the first of the fava beans. Michelle says she eats the whole pod sometime. I wasn't sure I wanted to sacrifice the inside bean for that, but I had to try it. The flavor is very different. I haven't decided if I like it yet or not. And more turnips were ready to pick. The Japanese turnips are interesting. They don't mature like radishes. With radishes you pick them all at the same time, but turnips mature over a much longer time. So I get some every week which is nice.

The Michihili cabbage was also attacked by earwigs. I cut off the green parts since that is what they ate. Luckily for me the ribs are what I like most.

More peas started to dribble in at the beginning of the week.

I picked over 10 pounds of chard most of which I gave away. The piles is deceiving. It is much taller than it is wide. I'm surprised it didn't fall over.

One monster kohlrabi (1lb 10oz) was hiding in with the broccoli plants. I obviously got the plants mixed up when planting. Whoops!

More peas were ready at the end of the week. I'm sure I'll be eating peas most every day with lunch. I make dips and love munching on them. Some will get cooked, some might get pickled, but most will be eaten raw. Well actually most will be given away. I put more in my townhouse mates fridge than in mine. I also had the first picking of basil and parsley. The parsley will just get chopped into whatever I'm making, but the basil was dried. And since I was out of onions in the house, I picked more bunching onions. I find that I'll use them for meals if they are already picked, but often I don't go out and pick them during meal prep unless I'm desperate. Picking a good handful every week works the best for me.
  • Alliums 0.47 lbs
  • Beans 0.21 lbs
  • Greens 14.06 lbs
  • Greens, Asian 5.11 lbs
  • Herbs 0.64 lbs
  • Peas 2.49 lbs
  • Roots 1.39 lbs
  • Weekly Tally 24.37 lbs
  • Yearly Tally 81.18 lbs, -$86.99
  • Fruit
  • Strawberries 3.41 lbs
Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

28 comments:

  1. 10 lbs is a lot of chard! Great looking kohlrabi. It looks like slugs left yours alone. The peas look good to me too. The heat got to mine and they are done for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very very dry spring for us. And last year was pretty dry too. So the slugs have been manageable this year. I haven't even brought out my Sluggo. I've lost some strawberries, but not so many as for me to worry about it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful harvests this week as usual. 20 pounds of greens are very impressive! It is nice to see others joining the harvest adding a variety of flavor and color to the mix. I am drooling over your strawberries. They look so yummy. I really need to think about adding a strawberry bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bummer about the earwigs. Other than that you have a great harvest! That is one impressive stack of chard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks beautiful. I'm waiting for some favas to try Michelle's suggestion. Hope I like them. I also like the white Tokyo Cross turnips. They are so sweet. I just slice them and saute them in butter with the greens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect strawberries, how do you keep the birds away?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh...earwigs! I hate earwigs! Looks as though you had another great week though, despite the gross little buggers! 3 pounds of strawberries if definitely something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely strawberries and quite an assortment of vegetables, too. My harvest are small but we are enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to reading about what you do with that Kohlrabi. I have planted out quite a few but haven't really eaten them much in the past so I could definitely do with some tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lot of chard and one huge kohlrabi! Love the green peas and strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 10 lbs of chard! Holy canolis! But more than that... PEAS in JUNE... *sigh* mmmmm LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! More than 24 lbs of food harvested in a week. You are an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dang, girl! Slow down a little!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love your bountiful harvest..they are all looking very fresh..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can tell from all the chard stems that there is a LOT there! Three pounds of strawberries, I'm so envious. Great week in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Your kohlrabi is such a striking pretty color! Lucky you to get 3 lbs. of strawberrys and you are ahead of me on the peas but mine have pods now! Lots of nice other food there to eat too! I think the spinach I listed on my blog today was actually swiss chard! I need to write things down I guess! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great harvest this week! I love the kohlrabi, we are trying it this year as a fall crop so hopefully I will have some later in the year. And your Strawberries look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful kohlrabi!! I haven't had much success growing them. I think it maybe the areas I've chosen. I haven't give up though!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My neighbor plot in the community garden is also growing kohlrabi. I dont think I've ever tasted it before, but now I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The purple kohlrabi are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my lovely harvest you have there, envious of your strawberries, the kohlrabi are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't had kohlrabi since I was a kid. I loved it then. It was the perfect cool veg of summer. I've been dying to try it in our garden. I love the purple color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never had luck with napa cabbage. Wondering whether it will grow well during wet season here in the tropics.
    Kohlrabi purple and white both too pretty to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your purple KRs are just beautiful and I am also in love with your turnips! Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great harvests! Kohlrabi is beautiful, mine haven't even formed yet! Peas are just flowering here :)

    ReplyDelete