Monday, September 2, 2013

Harvest Monday, September 2nd, 2013

This week the last melon was picked and eaten. The above melon was seven pounds. I had two types of melons growing this year. Halona which is a cantaloupe which is good for our shorter cooler weather. And the melon above is Sensation, which is a cross between a cantaloupe and a honeydew. I'm not a fan of honeydews as I find them rather tasteless. Sensation doesn't have the more intense flavor of a cantaloupe, but it is much better than a honeydew. And it gets huge and is also very very sweet. It gets a lot sweeter than any cantaloupe that I have had. Though a perfectly ripened Ambrosia comes close.

Our three year old apple tree fruited for the first time. They are Ginger Gold apples, which are very early apples. The weird little brown things are the footies that I covered my apples with to keep the bugs at bay without spraying. It worked wonderfully. As you can see the total harvest wasn't huge. That is because the squirrels ate most of them. I eventually covered the tree with netting which stopped the pilfering. But I did lose 2/3rds of the tree to them before that. Next year I'll stay on top of the problem and net the tree in early August or late July.

I had five harvests like this not two, but who needs so many identical photos of the same thing. I've been picking four ears of corn for every meal that we eat at home. I pick the biggest and best every time, but I think I'll have to pick a lot soon as the corn is aging. I don't have a lot of time to pick the ripest ones.

I had two large harvest baskets with tons of beans and cukes. And just a small amount of broccoli. I gave most of the cukes and beans away.

Mizuna

Chard

Kale, Tatsoi, Red Sails lettuce, Deertongue lettuce, Fun Jen

This week started the harvest of the fall greens. Which of course reminds me that I didn't plant any radishes or turnips. Again. Yes every year I forget. I'll have to find an unused spot to add them if I want any this year. I have no idea why I always forget them in the fall, but I do.

  • Beans 2.61 lbs
  • Broccoli 0.29 lbs
  • Corn 5.51 lbs
  • Cucumbers 10.69 lbs
  • Greens 4.04 lbs
  • Asian Greens 1.81 lbs
  • Melons 6.98 lbs
  • Weekly Tally 31.93 lbs
  • Yearly Tally 316.26 lbs, $530.31
  • Fruit
  • Apples 8.61 lbs

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

25 comments:

  1. Your ginger gold apples are beautiful, too bad the footies did not keep the squirrels away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Harvest. I love this time of year when all the hard work pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had such poor results with sweetcorn that I have stopped growing it, but the photos of yours may just inspire me to have another go! My wife doesn't like oriental brassicas (or Chard) which is a pity, because it means I don't get them, which is a shame since I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Sensation cantaloupe sounds interesting. I will check it out. I have one Ambrosia left. It's in the frig, and once we cut it it won't last long. I will miss the summer veggies. Looks like you have a good start with the fall veggies, turnips or not. There should be time for some salad turnips if you can find the spot for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Were the apples delicious? I absolutely love new season apples. Those cucumbers look marvellous too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course they were wonderful. My townhouse mate said they were the best apples she has ever had.

      Delete
  6. Lovely harvests. I love sweet corn from the garden. I didn't grow any this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to get apples and without spraying! I just got a peach tree so I will have to figure that out as well! Your getting a lot of greens too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice harvest. Good to see some greens again in the basket. Mine are in late so it will be a few weeks yet. I did remember to plant the turnips and radishes, however.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely apples. It must be nice to have garden fresh fruit without going to the store, especially since you know that those apples weren't sprayed with nasty chemicals. Someday I'd love to have a small orchard in my backyard, but I am only renting, so I must be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So exciting when something fruits for the first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like you, I'm not a fan of honeydew melons. I found one more cantaloupe hiding in my garden. Now I'm wishing I had planted more, but they mostly all ripen at the same time and we can only eat so many. I do have a later planting, but there is no way I'll get any ripe fruit from them before the first freeze. Seeing your greens reminds me I have a bed of lettuce that needs to be picked! I tend to procrastinate a lot by this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The apples are wonderful! I hope they tasted as good as they look. It looks like the footies worked? Next year you will know how to protect them from the squirrels. The greens look lovely. It must be nice enjoy fresh fall greens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum~~melons and apples, I don't have any fruits this year except figs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for providing this format to connect with other gardeners all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The melon is beautiful. I saw one that just set on my plants, it's about the size of a big olive right now. I hope we get out usual "summer in autumn" weather so that there might be a chance of one ripening. I do miss having an apple tree, your apples are beautiful! I keep intending to sow radishes also...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm posting here for the first time, your vegetables and fruits look great. I don't have enough heat to grow melons, so I'm lusting after yours, but I'm going to try one next year hybridized with a cucumber parent, cucumbers do well for me. I'm not good at growing lettuce either, too many slugs, but I do well with beans, cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, and fall/winter greens and turnips. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Footies! What a good idea. I can't wait until next winter when I can put in my apple trees...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Daphne your harvests look amazing this week! I have never grown a good melon and yours looks so delicious! I have an apple tree that just started to produce this year, so I may try your footie idea next year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is one huge melon! Congratulations on being able to harvest some apples. Your corn looks wonderful along with your cucumbers, beans and greens. Good think I already posted my blog before looking at yours! Ha Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another amazing harvest Daphne! That's a very clever organic trick you used to keep the apples perfect. Footies - who would have thought of it! Now just keep those pesky squirrels away. I hope to grow melons for the first time next year. Always enjoy this Monday harvest post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love everything in your harvest, early apples are always so juicy, cucumbers make me regreat that my cucumber season is over, and you have also a lot of interesting greens.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your harvest- I'm still harvesting cukes too- might have to get a scale would be nice to see how great the harvest is.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i think you should just put the footies right over the squirrels.

    ReplyDelete