Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Planting the Cabbages

Last fall I sifted through my compost and prepared as many beds as I could. Sadly six of the beds didn't get covered in compost. I just didn't have enough. i will have to buy some more this year. But I decided to try something else too. I'm experimenting with biochar which I got through the Northeast Organic Farmers Association bulk buy that they have every year. Biochar does a lot of what compost does. It help prevent leeching of nutrients and helps retain water in the soil. It also makes the soil more alkaline. Which here in the northeast with our acidic soils, is a good thing. Hopefully I'm not raising the pH too much. I tried to look up application rates and people are all over the board on how much you ought to apply.

Interestingly enough I've used a kind of biochar in the past (and still do). I don't use regular bone meal. I use bone char. It is a slower source of phosphate than most fertilizers and doesn't leach out as much as most phosphate fertilizers do. When I tested my soil when the garden was first put in, it was very low in phosphates. I wanted to be able to put something on the garden that would last and not leach out to contaminate our local water sources. But I wanted the plants to have plenty of phosphorus. Bone char fills both needs.

I usually don't turn the soil over much, but I wanted to incorporate the char into the top 6" of soil. So I mixed it up pretty well. In addition I added a little high nitrogen fertilizer as cabbages are heavy feeders.

Every year I remake my measuring stick. I put in marks at 4" and 6". The stick is 3' long. Since I keep it outside in the garden the marks fade every year and have to be reapplied. I measured out the sections that I was going to plant.

And then planted them all. I planted three michihili Chinese cabbages (2 Green Rockets and one from old seed from Mac). These each got a section that was 2'x3'. The plants are huge. I wish I could find a slightly smaller michihili cabbage, but they all just seem to grow big. I planted three Optiko Napa Chinese cabbage, five Early Jersey cabbage, and five winner kohlrabi. I swore last year I'd grow more kohlrabi, but somehow that didn't happen. The row of choy sum in the foreground was an afterthought. I had the seedlings and didn't have a space to put them. I think they will produce before the big michihilis will need the space.

Then I put on my row cover. I noticed the first cabbage butterfly out yesterday. I hope it didn't lay any eggs on my plants. I had them just sitting out uncovered while they were getting hardened off.

7 comments:

  1. Hello. Forgive me if I've missed this point in previous conversations, but do you find that using he mesh fabric keeps out flea beetles? Thanks. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agribon will keep out flea beetles. But the above fabrics have to large of holes to do that.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen any cabbage whites yet but I'm sure they will come soon. My greens are growing well unprotected thus far. Who knows if that will continue. It's always interesting getting to know a new gardening space. Where did you get the mesh fabric? I was hoping to find something similar that will protect against larger insects but still allow the rain in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.veggiecare.com/products.html
      So far I'm on my third season. There is small wear in spots, but nothing significant. It will keep the flies and whites out, but not the flea beetles.

      Delete
  3. After reading your post I need to apply some kind of nitrogen to my cabbages I think. I have not seen any cabbage butterflies yet but they will be here!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any cabbage butterflies here but it is about time for them.
    The biochar sounds like a good fit for your garden. Mine is slightly low in P and K but the organic fertilizers I use seem to be doing their thing though they are expensive. As far as I know biochar is not available around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what I was tlaking to hubby about just the other day - seeing if we can utilize the ashes in Alabama to make our own biochar.

    ReplyDelete