Monday, July 28, 2014

Harvest Monday, 28 July 2014

This week my harvests were beans and cukes.

And beans and cukes. And beans and cukes.

Sometimes the beans and cukes came with chard and basil.

Or with onions and celery. Sadly I didn't need the celery. I noticed the plant had twisted leaves and was mottled. It was fine a week ago. I ripped it out as I didn't want the mosaic virus to spread to the other plants. But sadly it is quite probable.

I did have a few other random harvests.

My favorite basket had all sorts of things. It did have the requisite beans and cukes. But it also had broccoli, the last cabbage, basil, and some beets. If only all my harvests were as varied as this one is. Especially that broccoli.

The side shoots were fairly decent in size, but they were a bit deformed. On a few of the shoots, the sides were starting to bloom while the middle was still very tight and needed time to mature. I'm guessing the heat is making them bolt as we have had a lot of hot temperatures over the last couple of weeks. The melons are growing like crazy, but the broccoli is not happy. At least I'm getting side shoots. Hopefully this week I'll have another batch. I'd love to have broccoli every week, even twice a week, but I think that may be asking too much.

Do you remember those carrots that I harvested. Well I had them packaged up in two week portions. I opened one of them yesterday and the date I wrote on it was July 25th. So I'm doing pretty well at eating carrots at the right pace to finish them off and not have extras when the fall carrots start. Sadly the cabbage I'm being really slow about. I need to get to the last Chinese cabbage. I use a leaf or two here and there, but the head is still rather large. It would really help if I could eat soy and use soy sauce to make a good Chinese stirfry. I miss that. I've had coleslaw with the European cabbages off and on for lunch. I'm very slowly making my way through them.

  • Alliums: 3.49 lbs
  • Beans: 1.04 lbs
  • Broccoli: 0.69 lbs
  • Cucumbers 10.83 lbs
  • Greens: 4.15 lbs
  • Herbs: 0.18 lbs
  • Roots: 1.48 lbs
  • Squash, Summer: 0.55 lbs
  • Weekly Total: 22.41 lbs
  • Yearly Total: 189.78 lbs
  • Yearly Tally: $74.95

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

30 comments:

  1. That broccoli looks great to me. Our weather has been on the cool side (for July) and it would probably have done really well here this year. Hopefully we have a nice, long drawn out fall so that I can get some nice heads then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As cool as a cucumber", that's how I would like to be! Here in the UK we are not well set up to cope with hot weather. For example, I am currently having to use the London Underground (the "Tube"), which is really unpleasant in current weather conditions. What a shame about the mosaic virus hitting your Celery. I must see whether my Celery Leaf is OK, because susceptibility to disease increases in hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bounty of cucumbers! Ours are still just beginning to flower and starting to run! I am hopeful for a bountiful crop, though, since last year was horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some great looking cukes. I think my broccoli is about done for. I did get a lot of side shoots so I am happy about that. The weather here has been strange for summer. It's hot for a few days, then cooler than usual. It can't decide what season it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cucumbers look to have a very different texture to ours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cucumbers. I had only one this week but the vines are filled with blooms so hopefully there will be more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great haul of cucumbers. Time to make the pickles! I'm having the same trouble using up half a head of cabbage. Too much else coming in from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer in a basket! I love that photo of bounty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not having good luck with my broccoli either. You can still do a good stir-fry without soy sauce, Chinese cabbage in a cream sauce is good also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Amy and Rob--summer in a basket! A great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very impressive! have never succeeded with cucumbers, so I'm in awe of your harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful harvest, as always! Your cucumbers look so perfectly form (mine are all wonky!) and I love the variety that you were able to get this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great harvests this week. We picked our first cuke last night so we will be in the cucumber routine very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Drooling over your cucumbers, my plants are attacked by squash bugs no cukes for me, but I did started couple seeds just to see I could get a few before frost, not keeping my hopes up though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're getting cukes like I'm getting zukes. In addition to all the cukes you got a very nice assortment of vegetables. Better luck with the broccoli, it's strange how the shoots are not developing uniformly. It doesn't sound like the heat is making them too bitter, that's the complaint I hear most often about summer broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had broccoli be bitter. I've had it be very strongly flavored (cheese sauce time then) and have tough skin (which I peel) from the heat. But never bitter.

      Delete
  17. I agree that it would be nice if all harvests were varied (although yours always look great). I think that part of the fun in harvesting is making pretty arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just picked the last broccoli this week. This year much of it has had the same problem, the outside develops before the inside of the head. I won't miss broccoli as long as there are beans available.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My cucumber marathon is ending just as yours is beginning. Have you tried some soy sauce substitute recipes? I can imagine it's difficult to think of things to do with Chinese cabbage without soy sauce. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/soy-sauce-substitute/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that recipe, but the problem is that all beef bouillon has soy in it. There was one beef broth on the market (which I'd have to boil down) without soy but it has tomato in it.

      Delete
  20. Your cukes have come in great! You have so much more variety than we have so I hope to learn something here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't posted here in a while. It's neat to see how your garden has progressed. I don't have any cukes yet, but I've got lots of flowers so I'm hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looking at all of your cukes only serves to remind me that I didn't plant any this year! Ah, there is always next year! Your chard is really lovely, I like the pretty white veining it has. Sorry if you have answered this before in a post, but what variety is that? Have a great week and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argentata. I like the taste better than the colored varieties.

      Delete
  23. Nice harvest. My arcadia broccoli is producing decent size side shoots as well but yes, I have to agree that they seem a bit deformed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. In the paleo community they use coconut aminos in place of soy sauce. I'm not sure if it conforms to your dietary concerns but I hope so, don't want to miss out on some delicious stir fry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of that. I'll look into it. Thanks.

      Delete
  25. Have you thought of Fish Sauce as a soy sauce substitute? I like it a whole lot. A good Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce will list 3 ingredients: water, fish, salt. It's fermented, and from what I can gather, is very much like garum, the all-purpose sauce of the Roman Empire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I like oyster sauce as a substitute better. It still misses a depth of flavor that soy sauce gives. Thanks for the suggestion though.

      Delete