Saturday, July 4, 2015

This and That

I had to get my lettuce seedlings planted. My wonderful successions are starting to fall apart. Some lettuces take longer than others. To plant these I took out four plants. One that just wasn't growing. A Deertongue which I know gets bitter in the summer heat, so I didn't want to leave it in very long. A romaine that sort of headed up. And a nice pretty red oakleaf. And two of the lettuces I planted in the spot the basil used to be in.

So now I have a patchwork quilt of lettuces. I'm finding that two week successions is too short and three is too long. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot for my space. Though the pretty crisphead that is growing well and sizing up nicely, is taking a long time to grow. I think these kinds of successions work better if you know what you are growing. When one lettuce takes a month longer to size up than another, it just doesn't work well. It either leaves holes, or you are pulling plants prematurely, or just not planting all of the seedlings.

I also planted out the next attempt at basil. If you will remember my first set all died from downy mildew even though I planted them in random spots in the yard. This one was planted in the herb circle. I hope it survives for a couple of months.

The last succession of corn needed thinning out. I plant three seeds. Most of them come up, but some are stronger than others. I also thinned out the squash at the end of the bed.

I was checking on the first four successions. Three and four have caught up to one another. I always plant toward the fence first. That bed is more shaded. And it gives the squash a chance to get going faster. But it does bring the beds together in timing a bit.

I usually don't let my rhubarb bloom like this. I like to keep it cut back better since it is in front of my air conditioner. I finally got around to it. Now it is much more under control.

The sweet potatoes have started to vine. Whoot! This meant I could take out most of the bamboo poles I put around them. I like to cover the ground enough to keep the cats from digging. We have a horde of cats living in the neighborhood. But they leave the soil alone once the plants grow big enough.

I was checking some photos from last year. My sweet potatoes seem to be a little bigger than last year, but the melons are way behind. I might be picking my melons in September, which is sad as they won't be as sweet that way.

6 comments:

  1. Your last corn succession looks just like mine - well, those stalks that were left alone by the rabbits (argh!), anyhow. We have several corn fields in our area & it looks like they space their corn really closely together - I would guess around 6" or so. I sowed mine in a grid with 12" spacing & it seems like yours is sown the same way - have you ever tried a closer spacing? I'm wondering if all of the heavy duty fertilizers that are likely used on the farms allow them to grow it that close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I've never tried it that way. I ought to though. I do for other crops. I certainly wouldn't try 6" off the bat though. Maybe 9" to see if it works at all.

      Delete
  2. I hear you on the succession planting. Sometimes I have whole beds that don't do their thing on time and mess up succession planting. Particularly at this latitude, the sun starts diminishing towards the end of summer and some plants can't get established enough by fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your seedlings look amazing before going in so they should take to the new territory pretty quickly. I'm randomly throwing new greens seeds into the ground or pots here and there without much thought so I ended up with no arugula and too much spinach. Oops, but I still have some time to put a few new things in for fall harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why won't your melons be as sweet in September? Just because things that take longer to ripen arent' as sweet or another reason?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are sweeter when they ripen when it is hot. We aren't very hot here in September.

      Delete