I finally made a good batch of fermented pickles.
Sadly the first batch I tried to make ended up getting moldy. Many people would just tell you to scrape it off and eat it anyway. I'm not about to do that with my health problems. I can't even eat a mushroom, I'm not about to try something that might have even small bits of mycotoxins in it.
But batch number two was totally clear. I haven't tasted them yet. I'm still working on my kohlrabi pickles (which are much easier to make).
I've been drinking milk kefir for a while now, but I decided to see what water kefir tasted like. Well it turns out I'm not a big fan. To be honest I probably wouldn't be a big fan of milk kefir all by itself, but I drink it in a morning fruit smoothie, and it really tastes good like that. But the water kefir tasted too much like vinegar to me. And too sweet. You would think tart and sweet would be good together, but to me the flavors just didn't work. So I've abandoned that.
I did learn something interesting from it though. I tried fermenting the middle jar with tap water. I knew filtered water wouldn't work as there aren't enough minerals in it to keep the bacteria alive. Some people say tap water doesn't work well because of the chlorine in the water. If it were just chlorine I could leave it on the counter to evaporate for 24 hours. But our water system uses chloramine which does not evaporate. The kefir made with bottled spring water worked just fine and smelled decent. The one made with the tap water smelled vile, like it was rotting. Ewwwww! I tried to revive it for a week by using good spring water on it and it never recovered. The symbiotic culture was damaged.
All I could think was if it was so obviously bad for the culture on my counter top, what in the world was it doing to my gut bacteria. I'd been drinking filtered water since my doctor told me to last fall, but I was still cooking with regular tap water. If I had chlorine in my tap water it would be fine as it would evaporate as I cooked and I'd be fine, but not with my tap water. So now I'm using filtered water for most of my cooking too.
All this and so much more leads me to be amazed at the irony of our current state of how we keep ourselves healthy. We poison our water so we won't get sick. We kill our parasites to keep us healthy, even though they are being found to help regulate our immune system especially as infants and in utero. We throw antibiotics at diseases to keep us healthy, and they kill off our precious gut bacteria. So instead of the chance of dying quickly from an infection, instead we die slowly from heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and auto immune diseases. Yesterday I was reading an article that was saying they discovered a bacteria that prevents us from getting type 1 diabetes. And this article is hardly unique. We are finding that our bacterial health is our health. Our physical health and even our mental health. Jeff Leach of the American Gut Project thinks that eating fermented foods isn't the trick to improving our gut, but eating a more varied source of food for our microbiome. And lots of it. Thank goodness I have a garden to eat from.