Monday, August 3, 2015

Harvest Monday, 3 August 2015

Whoohoo! The first corn. In August we will be inundated with it. At least I hope.

The big harvest this week was the garlic. It was picked earlier, but I don't put it on the harvest records until it is cured and dry.

I've been eating the sweet onions at the rate of about a pound per week. I need to start eating them faster. They won't store well, so it is use it or lose it.

A lot of my harvest baskets look alike nowadays. Cukes, zukes, and beans. My zucchini is giving me constant zucchinis, but they are small, so the poundage isn't much. The cucumbers on the other hand gave me six and a half pounds. Last year I grew 8 sqft of space in cuke and I got 60 pounds of them. I certainly didn't need that many, so cut the space in half. So far so good. I don't feel overwhelmed by them this year. I do however wish for a year that I'm overwhelmed by zucchini. I never have been. So far I'm not this year either.

I got some nice broccoli side shoots. I have some more that I'll pick today. If I can just keep the aphids down enough so they don't get into the heads life will be great. I love broccoli.

I picked the chard once this week. I'm glad I like it since it is such a workhorse. Though I do see one of them starting to bolt. It is my own fault too. The earwigs are a real pest of the chard here. They will ruin it if I let too many survive. So I chase them down. I have a knife that I'm harvesting with and try to slice it through the soil. Slicing off a plant's roots will get it to bolt every time. I have to stop my instinct to do that or they will all end up bolting.

I picked some more green coriander to make some chicken. I loved it, but my husband thought it was just OK. I don't think he liked the texture. I didn't use it all up, so I got to dry more.

  • Alliums, 8.64 lbs
  • Beans, 1.38 lbs
  • Broccoli, 2.11 lbs
  • Corn, 0.63 lbs
  • Cucumbers, 6.64 lbs
  • Greens, 1.56 lbs
  • Herbs, 0.32 lbs
  • Summer Squash, 1.62 lbs
  • Weekly total, 22.88
  • Yearly total, 271.28 lbs, $952.29

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

28 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous harvest! So jealous of all those cucumbers and first corn! and what a wonderful selection of garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice harvest. We are getting into the best, to me, part of the season: corn, tomatoes and cucumbers. Another use for green coriander is to infuse some vodka. Put a couple of tablespoons in a fifth and let infuse for a couple of weeks, then strain. Make a cortini with the vodka, St. Germain, and a dash of Fey's grapefruit bitters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely onions and broccoli. Those are two things that didn't do well here, so I am enjoying looking at what others have grown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweetcorn is magnificent. And wow, all that garlic, awesome harvest Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, corn! My mouth is watering. The earwigs damaged the silks of our early corn, so I'm not expecting much. I just can't control the buggers. They hide in the leaf stalk, and I can't be out there every day trying to squish them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, corn! I bet your husband is so excited for fresh corn :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always astonished by the productivity of your garden and your dedication to growing as much of your own food as possible--even with your food restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garlic is so perfect looking and those onions are beautiful! I am terrible at growing onions but keep on trying. How do you know when to harvest corn, is it just about the size? I'm got some for the first time this year and it seems too small, but I'm not sure what to look for in terms of readiness to harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you do it enough you can tell by feel if the corn has filled out. Basically you just feel the end of the corn and see if is has rounded out. Though I always pull the husk back to make sure before I pick it. I'm about to husk it anyway at that point.

      Delete
    2. OK thanks. That is what I was thinking ... just pull some husk back to see what it looks like. I think I am still a week or two early now.

      Delete
  9. So incredibly jealous of that corn - it looks so good I can practically taste it! At this stage, even a tiny zucchini would be more than welcome in my kitchen - I hope I get at least a couple before the cold weather arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice harvest as you usually do but I am jealous of your corn!! I don't seem to get an abundance of zucchini either. In fact, this year I don't seem to get an abundance of anything! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a nice variety. We're moving into tomatoes.. we've had a record number of 90+ degree days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, sounds like my harvests now, cukes-zukes-beans with a bit of broccoli on the side. Well, I've got some peppers and tomatoes in the mix now also. But no corn, at least not from my garden. It's all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great looking harvest. You are about a week to 10 days a head of me this year. I'm so looking forward to beans, corn and cucumbers. They are right around the corner!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You must really like cucumbers. First glance and I thought that the coriander were peas,

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice green harvest! I have never had green coriander seeds, I have only had them dried. I wonder if they taste the same. I don't think I know many people who actually wish for a glut of zucchini - they mainly want to find people they can give them away to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa, love love love your green coriander seeds, I never produce enough of them, they get used up pretty quickly. The garlic basket is gorgeous and nice varied harvest as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What amazing harvests! I am so impressed with how productive your garden is. I feel proud if I can get 10 pounds in a month!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Corn looks nice,and there will be much more to come. I'm wondering if green coriander would work in dill pickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well normal coriander is part of the pickling spices, so I don't see why not. Though the green type is more potent. So you had better love the taste (I do).

      Delete
  19. Perfect corn, amazing! Mine never looks like that. And the coriander seeds look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay for the corn! I just used the last of my freezer corn, and it will be a long time until the first cob (prob around December for us) so I am very jealous. Green coriander seed looks very interesting. I'll be checking that out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Green coriander - how do you use it? When my cilantro goes to seed, I always have plenty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In any way that you use coriander. It tastes like a mix of the ripe seeds and the leaves. And it is much more flavorful than regular coriander.

      Delete
  22. Yay for corn! What variety of cucumbers are you growing? 6 1/2 pounds is great and 60 pounds last year from that small of a space - wow! Mine are not that productive :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cross Country. I'm also growing Lemon for the first time this year, but so far I've gotten one of them and a quarter of the plants are planted in Lemon, so they aren't very productive.

      Delete
  23. You've got a lovely harvest this week! Your corn is just beautiful. I have tried growing it unsuccessfully a couple of times, but maybe I will try again next year. Your garlic is looks wonderful too! I have not tried growing it before, but I have it on my plans. I appreciate all of the details you give about the harvesting, etc.

    ReplyDelete