Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bloomin' Like Crazy

Oh the garden is blooming now. I've been seeing so many different blooms around. Above is my favorite peony. I have a double one that is so full, but it just doesn't appeal to me like the single ones.

One of my favorite flowers is the Japanese Iris. Its blooms don't last long but they are so beautiful.

But what really inspired this post were my peas. I've been meaning to crow about them blooming like crazy, but hadn't had time. Right now it is the calm before the storm. I've got two barbecues this weekend. One on Sunday and one on Monday. When I think about Memorial Day though all I can think about is Carl (a cousin) who is going to Afghanistan very soon. It is his last tour before he retires. I'll be hoping for his safe return. Then after the holiday the packers come on Tuesday and then the move is on Wednesday. On Tuesday my internet and phone get changed and I'll be unconnected for a short time until we got all the computers back up. I've got my Get Growing post scheduled. Hopefully I'll have time to get my photos of the new garden up for a Wednesday post. I finally remembered my camera. It was charged and it had its card in it.

But I digress. The peas are starting to develop. These are the Blizzard snowpeas. One was ready and I ate it straight from the garden. No Monday Harvest weighing for it. Yum! The Cascadia, a snap pea, has small peas forming too. I can't wait for the harvests.

I have so many other blooms. But I'll show you a few more of my favorite and they are all herbs. I meant to make vinegar of my chives. I haven't had a chance to go to the store and get some good vinegar for it. They might just fade away before I have a chance.

My dianthus scent the yard like cloves. I just love the early morning in the garden because the scent is just divine.

My chamomile is ready to pick if I get the time. I better if I don't want it to go to seed and quit producing. I obviously don't love it for it beautiful flowers. It does look better later in the day when the petals open up, but it is not a stunning plant. I do love the flowers in tea however. It is a nice calming cup of tea with a little bit of chocolate mint added to it.

One of my all time favorite flowers is the dianthus. I like the blooms a lot, but the real reason I love it is the scent. They have a subtle scent that wafts through the garden. When I smell it, my first thought is how wonderful the garden smells, then it hits me it is the dianthus scent. It smells a bit like cloves. I love its timing too. My Miss Kim lilacs hit you in the face with their scent and once they fade away the dianthus starts to bloom. I wish I had a scent like this that would last all summer long.

14 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful photos, and good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blooms are beautiful! The iris is my favorite. I just love them.

    Good luck with your move. Your cousin will be in our prayers for a safe return and happy retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All lovely, and thanks for the reminder about the scented flowers. Good luck with the big move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's wishing Carl the best of luck and a safe return.

    The Japanese Iris are beautiful, but I may be partial to the chive flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flowers are gorgeous. Why are many of your flowers and all of your peas so far ahead of mine, yet my chives and lilacs have already faded into oblivion? The only sweet scent in my garden right now comes from the alyssum. It smells so good when it's warm out....which is not too often this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers are beautiful! Love the peas too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm... peas! I love peas. Mine have just started to flower.

    I really like the dianthus, but haven't had much luck with it. Right now the black locusts are perfuming the air - so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I will have to get some dianthus next year. Best of wishes to your cousin, as he heads to Afghanistan. My husband will be there in OCT, wonder if they will cross paths?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blooms ! I agree, Dianthus have an wonderful scent. Mine look a lot like yours (and are full of buds at the moment but haven't opened yet). I can't believe how far along your peas are !

    Good luck with your move. Wishing your cousin a safe tour and very happy retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the move. Your peonies are beautiful. Mine are just beginning to bloom and I need to head out and photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice blooms! I'm a single peony person too. I have a white one but would like to added the pink as well. The doubles are to garish for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've enjoyed very much this tour of your garden blooms. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for all the well wishes and comments everyone.

    Granny, we have had strange spring weather. Most blooms have been a week or two early, but some seem to be on the same schedule. Our timing is very off this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful flowers and thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete