Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard

Two posts in one day is unusual for me, especially at this time of the year. But I thought I'd join Robin Jody this week. I hadn't prepared, so my photos are all from my meals today.

I started the day with a breakfast of zucchini bread, which is half whole wheat and has a lot of applesauce in it too.

Then I moved on to lunch. Lunch took a while to cook since I was making black bean and squash tacos. I didn't even have the pickled onions prepared in advance. So first I made pickled onions (my no solanum salsa substitute). Then I made the sauteed squash with cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, and cumin. The black beans have cumin and lots of cilantro from the garden. The cilantro in the main beds is looking ragged, but the plants by the foundation are still a pretty green. The beans, squash, and onions were all from my stores. Sadly this is the last of my black beans. I really need to grow more next year.

I don't always make my own tortillas, but I try. They take a while to roll out. My mom had a tortilla press but I've never gotten one. That being said it still isn't hard. I use whole wheat and spelt. With white flour the gluten really activates too much and you have to let the dough rest in the fridge before rolling, but the whole grain version rolls out so much easier. Not to mention it is better for you.

Daphne's Spelt Tortillas

  • 1/2c whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c splet flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 1/2 T olive oil
  • 1/3 c cold water

Mix everything together well. Divide into 8 balls. Roll out using extra flour to keep it from sticking. Cook on a heated cast iron skillet over high heat. You know when to turn it because the dough gets little bubbles in it. They cook very quickly. The tortillas I make are small, about 6" in diameter.

Dinner will be a chicken from the farmers market. I think it might be the last one in the freezer. I have lots of breasts, but no more whole chickens. In addition to the chicken we will have bread and some veggie. I've already started the bread that we will have. It is a rosemary and olive oil bread. The spices are all from the garden - rosemary, oregano, basil, and thyme. I'm thinking I'm going to have some frozen spinach with the meal, but it might end up being carrots.

11 comments:

  1. Love to have your recipe for the Zucchini Bread with applesauce.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. good post. i also love the bread. but your lunch . i dunno have the idea what it taste like . really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The zucchini bread look good and so is the others. I been saving zucchini bread for long time. But the summer heat kill all our zucchini to crisp. Planning to sow some seeds this month with hope that we have long warm fall season to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tortilla recipe looks a lot like a roti recipe, albeit they don't usually include Spelt and or baking powder. I'm intrigued by the Baking powder, do they tortillas rise much?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz not really though they do make those cute little bubbles that get brown. I wouldn't use it if I made corn tortillas, but flour tortillas come out better with it. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a flour tortilla recipe without it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My lunches have to be packed in an insulated bag to take to work - nothing nearly as yummy as your lunch looks (usually leftovers from previous dinners). That is a delicious looking combination of items.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have spelt and we have wheat. Belle's been waiting for this post! I know what we'll soon be having for dinner here. Thanks Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. tortilla recepi...great to know this...wish could try this one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never made homemade tortillas before. Yours sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete