Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Seeding

Yesterday I didn't do much outdoors, but I did put in some seed. I seeded the rest of the peas. I was trying to do it quickly so of course forgot to put in the inoculant. Oh well. I guess I'll see how much better the other section of peas do compared to this one. I did notice one plant starting to come up in the previously planted peas. Just one. I hope I see them soon. I keep thinking they ought to be up by now. My spinach has started to come up and I think of them as slower germinators.

Japanese turnips were next on my list. I plant my turnips around my big Michihili cabbage. I give each cabbage a 2'x3' area as they get so big, but the space is a bit of a waste until the cabbage grows a bit. So I seed Japanese turnips around the outside. The turnips will ripen over quite while, but don't seem to be hurt when they start getting shaded by the cabbages leaves. Probably by then it is getting warmer and they like the shade.

The last seeds that I planted were radishes. I just planted them in a spot where the squash will be growing. They ought to be out of there by the time the squash needs it. The radishes all ripen at once. I'll get way too many at a time, but they keep well in the fridge. Last year they had root maggots destroying their roots. I wouldn't know of the root would be good or not when I cut into it. So this time I'm going to put a small row cover over them while they grow. I'll let them sprout first before I get it set up. I might have to go out and buy some more rebar and bricks. I use them to hold down the edge of the covers and I'm currently using all of it. I have just enough to hold down four row covers. Five was not in the plan.

5 comments:

  1. My Turnips normally perform like your radishes: they look good until you cut into them, and then you find loads of them are infested with maggots. Makes you think that you have to grow EVERYTHING under cover these days. Was it always like that? Sounds like you make maximum use of your space, which I admire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was always like that at my old house. In fact I couldn't grow any radishes unless they were under cover. They were attacked so much they wouldn't grow at all. Here they can grow, but you don't know what the inside will look like. Luckily the radishes are fast growing so I won't have to leave the cover on for all that long. My garden really is starting to look like a bunch of white qu0nset huts. I'm not a fan of row covers for that reason, but I find them better than spraying or losing all of my crop.

      Delete
  2. Quonset huts? What do you use for those? Can't wait for my radishes to come up! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is what my row covers look like. Little quonset huts here and there. I have four of them right now.

      Delete
  3. I never had much luck with Michilli cabbage. So I always enjoy looking at yours.

    ReplyDelete