Monday, October 6, 2014

Harvest Monday, 6 October 2014

Garnet with a few Beauregard

Purple

I harvested the last of the sweet potatoes.

And all the Butternut squash. 92 pounds! Needless to say I'll have a lot of orange vegetables to eat over the winter.

And some to eat now. The carrots are getting huge. The one I'm holding is a Mokum and is usually a fairly small carrot. I don't think they have ever gotten this big for me. Some are getting close to an inch and a half around. I grew both Yayas and Mokums to eat fresh this year. They have both grown very well, but I like the Mokums better. The Yayas are a bit tasteless to me. Not bad mind you, but not a lot of carrot flavor. Mokums are both carroty and sweet, so just perfect.

Despite the cooler weather the zucchinis keep putting out fruit which makes me very happy. I haven't had nearly enough zucchini this year.

My raspberries started producing again. I got two containers like this. It isn't a lot, but enough to add to my cereal in the morning.

My favorite harvest was the choy sum. It wasn't the best I've grown by far. It was a little spindly and only four ounces. But at least I had some this fall. I find it grows better here in the spring.
  • Carrots: 2.94 lbs
  • Greens, Asian: 0.26 lbs
  • Squash, Summer: 1.75 lbs
  • Squash, Winter 94.52 lbs
  • Sweet Potatoes: 18.94 lbs
  • Weekly Total: 118.39 lbs
  • Yearly Total: 626.06 lbs
  • Yearly Tally: $1066.45

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

18 comments:

  1. Awesome week, Daphne! The squash harvest is really impressive. I am glad that you are getting some zucchini finally too. I was thrilled with Yaya carrots because they provided a great harvest but agree that the flavor is rather bland. I will grow Yaya next year but will also try a different nantes type carrot as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a butternut harvest. Beautiful and perfect choy sum, I did not have much luck with them this year, hopefully I will do better next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful harvest. That's an impressive amount of squash. And I wish I were still getting zucchini, too, but PM finally got them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The butternut squash is lovely! I can see why grow the Waltham. I've got a few winter squash still on the vines, and I don't know if they will mature before frost or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your butternut squash is absolutely amazing! I have had the worst luck growing it over the past couple of years but am determined to keep trying! What is your secret???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this was just a really good year. Last year I only got about half this amount

      Delete
  6. Oo! I could go for some fresh raspberries right now. Amazing harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your butternut squash harvest is amazing and they all look to be good sized. Do you have any garden wisdom to pass along about growing them? This year was dismal for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew why they did so well this year, but I think it was just the weather. And I watered every five days if we didn't get rain. Four days if we were in the 90s and didn't get rain. Not much else. I didn't even side dress them this year in the middle of the season.

      Delete
  8. Big week for you! Those squash are amazing, all big and beautiful. And I can't believe those beautiful carrots either, it's amazing that they are still sweet at that size.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great photo - those beautiful butternuts all lined up. I'm still amazed that you grew that many in raised beds - you would think that that many would require a farm field to let them sprawl out in. Ditto Michelle on the carrots - serious carrot envy happening here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lot of squash!! How do you store them all winter? Do you have a root cellar or are you just able to keep them in the basement or garage??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I store them in the basement. Though I do keep some on my mantle and they seem to keep just as long there.

      Delete
  11. Your rasps look very tempting. I had a few limping along but we're just getting lots of rain which will probably finish them off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Outstanding! Are those Waltham? I picked up some Waltham seeds for next year, i hope i do even a quarter as well as you have!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 92 pounds of butternut squash? Be still my heart...I LOVE butternut squash. Awesome job!! Hope to see if we have any sweet taters this coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Drooling over the wonderful harvest of butternut squash!!! Carrots look great too. Nancy

    ReplyDelete