It was supposed to rain last night. My weathermen are really letting me down. It hasn't rained appreciable in about a week and a half. I had to water the garden the other day. I'm thinking I'm going to have to water it again before I have to leave just because I don't know if it will really rain when I'm gone. Watering it is a long laborious chore right now. I haven't hooked up the hose yet, so I have to drag the watering can half way around the house to fill it up then do it again, and again. I should be happy it is sunny and beautiful today, but I keep thinking that the weathermen (all 5 of them) told me it would be cloudy all day.
Of course with the sun everything is growing like gangbusters. It is cool enough for the cool weather crops, but still warm enough for the tomatoes and peppers under their covering. Above is the setup I used for my container tomatoes. I put the filled soda bottles in the pails to hold up the remay and to keep in the heat. After just two days this is what they look like.
I had taken off all of their large leaves and buried the stem deep. In two days they are even bigger than before I ripped off their leaves. At this rate they will out grow their little setup before I get home. Some of the plants have almost outgrown it already.
Yup I'm sitting here complaining that the weather is too nice and the plants are growing too well. The truth is that I'm just worried about them. I hate leaving my plants to fend for themselves.
On a more positive note I did my first complete weeding of the gardens today. The plants shouldn't be inundated with weeds before I get home. I noticed the volunteer clover from last year was growing a bit too big. It grows along the edges of some of my beds. I harvested the leaves and put them out to dry. I'll use them as mulch later.
I thinned out the spinach for the third and final time. Now they are all about 6" apart and have plenty of room to grow. The spinach is fabulous (no complaints this time). In the past I've had trouble with it. The first issue is that it never germinated. Chitting the seed for two days solved that problem. I had almost 100% germination this year. The next issue I had was that the few plants that germinated didn't grow well at all. The remay cover solved that issue. I had a batch that wasn't under the row cover. It is less than half the size. Its growth is even worse than the row that wasn't thinned out. So in the future I'll know how to grow this well. I had the same problems with my brassicas that weren't under remay. I wonder if they have some of the same pests (pests never found I might add) that the remay keeps out. Or if it works just because it is good protection from the wind. I have a very windy site.
I also took care of the compost. I'm slowly building up the pile from the coffee grounds I get. My husband's work also sent home a pail of vegetable trimmings one day. Yippee! I've been told I'm low on the totem pole for those. There is someone with rabbits that gets first pickings from the kitchen scraps. At least they are being useful somewhere and not being thrown out.
What a busy day. I think since it is such a nice day I'll go for a walk while the sun is still shining.