Though in reality it went the bad, the ugly, and the good. The bad part was this morning. I was out in the tomato patch defoliating the tomatoes that are getting sick. Sigh. No that isn't the bad part. That didn't even make the grade. You will have to wait until the end of the story to hear the bad part. Angela was telling me that she thought my problem might be russet mites. I think she may be right. I noticed that my hands were getting red and not the typical yellow. I've never had my hands get red from tomatoes before - tomato foliage at least. I've never had russet mites in my tomatoes before either. It has been hot, dry, and humid.
Anyway. I use scissors to cut off the foliage. I like them because I can throw them in the dishwasher to sterilize them. I have four of them I rotate. Some days I use all four. I was sleepily snipping away at 6:15 in the morning, not quite awake. So of course I got too close to my left thumb. Ouch. That's the bad part. I had to go in a wash all the yuck off the hands and figure out if my nasty cut was deep enough to go get stitches. I decided not. I do need to go to the drugstore soon though since I used the last of my butterfly bandages. It was not a good start to the day. I left the rest of the yellowing tomato foliage for tomorrow.
The ugly was the result of my stove. I was canning tomatillo salsa, but sadly wasn't using my old stove. I'm using the new stove in my brand new house. Did I tell you I HATE my new stove? The heat from the flames travel up the sides of the pots and make all the handles hot. Not just hot, but burning hot. It also makes the microwave handle above the stove too hot to touch. Anyway I now have not one, but two different burns. The first one was the worst. I have some nice white and red patterns. Very ugly.
But at least it was the result of the good. I made some tomatillo salsa today. I had picked all my tomatillos on Tuesday both the ripe and unripe ones and they needed processing. I made a whole three batches which made just over 8 pints. I figured it would take me about 3 hours to do. It took 4 1/2. Dicing things up always takes me longer than I expect. Most of the peppers were from the garden too. I had the Big Chili IIs (from Dan) and the early jalapenos. I also had poblanos from the farmers market. I'm really impressed with the Big Chili IIs. They had a lot of nice peppers. In general the plants are struggling this year because they are too crowded, but those have produced pretty well so far. And they are very tasty once they are roasted and peeled.
I had more tomatillos than I needed for three batches of salsa, but not enough peppers to make more. So I made tomatillo sauce. Just tomatillos nothing else (well citric acid to make it safe). I haven't a clue what I'll do with it, but I needed to get them off my counter.