Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard

Some days in the kitchen are very, very sad. No I'm not crying because I'm cutting an onion. I'm crying because I'm cutting up the very last onion that I stored from last year. I do have some frozen, but this is the last of the onion braids. Those onions lasted quite a while. I started eating them in August and now it is April. Eight whole months I ate them. Now I'll have four onion-less months. OK not really. I've already bought the replacements. I move on so easily.

But what to do for your very last beautiful Redwing onion? Why make some noodles of course.

Whole wheat noodles for soup. I combined the onions with some garlic (also from the garden), mushrooms, and broccoli. Then I added some broth for a soup. I had saved the broth for a special occasion. I think this counts don't you? The broth is from our local hot pot restaurant. They have the best broths. All sorts of interesting spices that I don't recognize. When we go there, I always bring some containers so I can bring back the left over broth.

Well that used up half of my last onion. I wonder what I'll do with the other half? Sniff.

Join Robin and others for Thursday Kitchen Cupboard over at her blog to see what others are cooking up from their gardens.

16 comments:

  1. I still have a few onions left in the basement....not many though. There are plenty of chopped onions in the freezer to get us through.

    That soup looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup looks amazing! I looks like the perfect thing to make with your last onion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just planted onion starts. Now I need to wait until August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those onions kept very well. You put that last half to good use, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The noodles look fantastic. Are they egg noodles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, my storage onions from last season are gone. I do have some chopped onions in the freezer that will get us by until some green onions mature. Your soup looks yummy especially with home made noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a very lovely onion to save for the end! And those noodles look delicious! Do you have a recipe for your wheat noodles? I planted onions for the first time in the fall and I'm getting very impatient. How long do they take?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - that looks fantastic. Probably a suitable end for an onion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that look delicious! I am impressed with your pasta making skills.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are on a skinny onion diet at the moment as the storage onions have been used up and I am between rounds of green onions. This little hiatus won't last long though as I have some nice green onions in the greenhouse and they are almost ready for use.

    Your red onion is a beauty. I have Cabernet growing in one of my 2012 onion patches and I am hoping it produces some lovely red slicers for me. I like red onions best for fresh eating - onions, salads, pasta salads etc. Something about their coloring and flavor make them ideal for fresh eating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are down to our last few stored onions as well. Thanks heaven for the freezer or we would be eating very dull meals for a few months!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum~ beautiful onion and delicious soup, I can eat noodle soup everyday and not tired of it.
    I haven't grown onions in couple years, I don't have enough space dedicated to it, maybe I can tuck some here and there and see if they would grow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think i have 2 left and then a few more bags in the freezer that I have forgotten about till now...lol Your soup looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 8 months enjoying home grown onions...........that's a great effort! Noodle soup looks delish.

    ReplyDelete