Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tour of the Spring Garden - Part 2

The first part of the tour was the flower photos. Now on to the main attraction which is the actual plants.

These are my two rhubarb plants. The one on the left is huge. The one on the right is struggling. I'm wondering if I should just put it out of its misery.

We got 2.7" of rain in the storm. It really perked all the plants up. The garlic was getting some brown tips, but now they seem to be happy again. I probably should have watered.

My onions perked up quit a bit too.

The baby Asian greens are in the circle garden under a row cover. Some are almost ready to harvest.

I have three beds with brassicas in them. The baby Asian greens is the first. This is the main brassica bed. It contains a huge mix of things from cabbage to Komatsuna. From kohlrabi to Napa cabbage. The Asian greens in the bed are really taking off. They always seem to grow more quickly than the other brassicas.

The broccoli is growing well. I can't wait for a harvest. Not from this plant though. This is a late broccoli. The early one which is Windsor is right next to it. I'm hoping this variety, Fiesta, will keep growing all summer and fall. The hope is for a continual supply of side shoots.

The above broccoli shares a bed with the Swiss chard. I grow Argentata because it is lower in oxalic acid than the other chards. Supposedly. I've got no proof of that except what my seed packet tells me.

The lettuce that self seeded and grew during the winter is almost big enough to thin out and harvest.

The largest of the peas are just starting to grab onto the first string of the trellis.

I swear the radishes tripled in size since the rain started. And their roots have started to size up too.

The fava beans look so pretty. It is always shocking how fast they grow to start. But then their seeds are very big.

The carrots have their first true leaves. No one has ever accused a carrot of growing fast. Not even after a rain.

All four of my mint plants look so pretty and lush. It won't be long before the first harvest.

The herb circle has recovered from its transplanting.

And last but not least, I have flowers coming up that I seeded. These are the sunflowers. They really took no time at all to germinate. I'll wait until they get a bit bigger before thinning them out. I love plants where you can just toss in seed and they grow.

I didn't quite get everything in the tour, but I got most of the plants growing in the main garden. I did miss some herbs. Cilantro, rosemary, coriander and such. The mustards were overlooked. As were the newly planted celery, and bunching onions. And this time the spinach got left out too. But it has been photographed so many times in the last week. It is such a camera hog in the spring. I think the peas might steal the spotlight soon though. They are growing so fast.

22 comments:

  1. That was a great tour. Everything seems to be coming along nicely. You will have some nice harvests in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks great. I always think, after rain, "Hey, maybe I should water!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. be interesting to see how your carrots fare this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tour! Your garden is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great tour everything looks just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous! I need to throw a row cover over my brassicas. The bunnies are eating too many!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just WOW! You're really putting me to shame this year! That herb garden is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great tour. Everything looks wonderful. You are putting ALL of us to hsame this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All that beautiful exciting new growth - I have quite a few tired looking plants at the moment, but my winter crops are starting to come through so hopefully it wont be too long until I'm back to lush green.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tour, everything looks so lush and green. I should learn to cover my greens to keep the bugs out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tour of your garden. I am very jealous of all that is growing in your garden! Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daphne, I love your herb circle! Also good to hear that "no one has ever accused a carrot of growing fast". First year for me growing carrots... good to know it's not just me...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Daphne, things are looking good in your garden!! I'm planting kohlrabi for the first time this year. I hope they look half as good as yours!! Love your greens!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to do an herb garden this year. Yours looks nice in that circle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marvelous, thanks for sharing the state of your garden! It looks like you're already off to a great start on many full harvests and delicious meals to come!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyed the tour of the garden - part 1 and 2! It's amazing what rain irrigation does as compared to sprinkler or soaker hose irrigation. There really is a noticeable difference in how plants react to the watering. All your plants look so lush, beautiful and happy (well except for that rhubarb that is not thriving).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am waay behind in the veggie garden this year. We have had a long we Spring. Your garden sure is flourishing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything looks so lush and beautiful! Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Wow thats a lot of radish! Looks like you have to carry a lot of basket with you to harvest all your goodies next month.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your garden is looking so lovely, Daphne!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can I make a suggestion about the Rhubarb. From the picture the plant that is doing well looks like it lives in a more shaded area, where the plant that is struggling is in more sun. I was under the impression that Rhubarb grows well in shade. Maybe move the struggling plant to a more shaded area.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Daphne, Most of your things are growing so well! Your herb cirble looks great! Nancy at Cozy Thyme Cottage

    ReplyDelete