Monday, August 27, 2012

Harvest Monday, August 27th, 2012

This was a good week for one of my favorite harvests. I harvested three melons, but this was by far my favorite. It was the perfect melon. It tasted like ambrosia. And no it wasn't one of my Ambrosia melons. I'm still waiting on those. It was a Halona melon. The other Halona melons were decent melons, but not perfect. They were all struggling with wilt except this plant. It has a tiny melon starting to form too. I don't think it has time to make another melon, but the one it gave me was perfect. I took the photo on the scale hoping to get the weight of it too. But my scale won't do anything over six pounds. This one weighed over seven.

In unphotographed cucurbit news, I also harvested one single cucumber and two zucchini. The zucchini are small. The plant is still struggling a bit from the borer attack, but it recovered rather nicely considering. If all I get are four once zucchinis, I'll still be happy.

My other favorite harvest this week was the corn. We basically ate corn every day we ate in and even one we didn't. We brought six ears to a bbq that a friend was hosting. I had a couple of friends that are real corn lovers and I made sure they each got an ear. And this variety is called Ambrosia. I love the taste. Very sweet. I'm still debating whether to grow it next year though as the germination was such a problem. I'd like one just as tasty, but with good germination.

I did a major haircut of all my chard. The harvest basket was way too small, so I used a large cooler. I'm supposed to cut it every two weeks. Then I get about four pounds. But when you don't for weeks and weeks the chard still keeps producing. I know I say this every time I harvest it, but wow it produces. I've harvested 45 pounds from this patch so far. It has a 16"x8' double row. And half of that double row was almost totally shaded out by the broccoli before I cut it back a couple of weeks ago. I wonder what the final total will be. I had been giving most of it away, just keeping a pound when I harvest. This week I kept two pounds as my broccoli and beans have mostly stopped producing. Nothing this week. I have new beans in flower, but they aren't ready yet. I cut the broccoli back severely in hopes it will rebound. But for now chard is my veggie of the week. The rest went to my townhouse mates to freeze. They had a friend over to help them process it all.

My townhouse mates and a neighbor got these beauties. There won't be anymore for a while. Though the plant seems pretty healthy, the first flush of tomatoes has all been picked. I think in a couple of weeks more might be ripe, but just in ones or twos.
  • Corn 10.00
  • Cucurbit 13.39 lbs
  • Greens 9.67 lbs
  • Tomatoes 5.74 lbs
  • Weekly total 38.72 lbs
  • Yearly total 441.38 lbs
  • Tally $737.12
Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

35 comments:

  1. That is one very impressive melon! It looks absolutely perfect! So glad it tasted good too. Transplanting the corn from deep newspaper pots worked really well for me. I guess it depends on how much corn you want to grow as I only grew 20 or so plants. It may be a pain to do this with a lot of corn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect melon and perfect corn. I should give my chard a major hair cut, thanks for the idea. What variety are you growing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grow Argentata chard. It is a white variety that supposedly has less oxalic acid. I wonder though. I saw some research on oxalic content in spinach varieties and the ones that are supposed to be low weren't really any different than the average. But either way I've found it a very good producer here and good tasting. I might go for a mixed color one next year too. I miss the colorful stems. I don't eat the stems, but I like the visual treat.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic melon and corn! Wonderful chards! Can´t grow them anymore due to the slugs! Love Your tomatoes also! Lucky Your townhouse mates and neighbour! Have a nice week! :) Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a whopper melon! Nothing like having one that maxes out the scale. I look forward to growing some next year when I expand the garden.

    Chard really is the plant that keeps on giving. 45 pounds is a lot of chard. I'm trying the Verda da Taglio variety this year. It is just now recovering from the deer attach, just in time for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That melon and the corn look beautiful! You can almost taste them from the photos! Also, beautiful chard. I grow Argentata too, along with other varieties. All of mine has been a bust this year, I think maybe leaf miners. Usually chard is a champion producer like yours has been. Great harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely melon and corn and the tomatoes are good looking too; too bad you can't eat them. Wow what a lot of chard. Some of mine is way too shaded in the green house and just barely hanging in there; hoping they make it until all the squash die back and they can get more sun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good gravy a cooler full of chard? Impressive, and your melon looks delicious!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very lovely melon! Tomatoes are beautiful and the corn and swiss chard look pretty good too. Looks like a very nice harvest week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I reckon if it (the corn) tastes good its worth a bit of germination angst...but maybe that's just me. Beautiful melon - its seducing me to try and grow them again....and I'm running out of space as it is...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chard is an amazingly prolific plant and so tasty too. You are getting a stellar amount of production from the plants you have growing. The melon is a beauty and the corn is picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I picked one cantaloupe from our garden at the Club last week. It smelled SO good! I hope my chard gets that big!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How nice to get melons! That one looks great! So does the corn, chard and tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I can just imagine how that melon tastes! There are so many bad melons between good ones when you buy them commercially. Last year mine were not any better than bought ones though - watery and tasteless - too much rain I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how wonderful to have melon!!! We might get one, but I'm not sure we have enough time in the season for it to mature! Your chard is intense, too! I had to chuckle a bit when I saw it in a cooler! That's a lot of chard!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good you have enough friends who like chard! I think zucchini is easier to pass off. Your melon is an accomplishment. We don't get enough sun and heat to grow them here (500 feet from the ocean). Enjoy the harvest! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great looking melon. Our melons are just coming on this week! It's our favorite time of year, we have melons with almost every meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That melon is beautiful! I would love to be able to grow melons, but I just don't think they will produce here, it's just not warm enough. I can only imagine how good that corn must be, your lucky corn loving friends...

    My kale is like your chard, it's impossible to harvest it fast enough at this time of year, but I'm looking forward to being able to harvest it regularly in the cold short days of winter when the garden isn't offering much of anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As always, your harvests look beautiful!
    I need to get some chard in the ground for this fall. I didn't get a chance to plant any this spring and I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a beautiful melon and makes one's mouth water! I am envious of your getting to eat corn so often! I wish I liked Swiss Chard! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice melon. I don't have the room to grow those things. My wife picked one up at a farm stand for $5. It's just like picking your own, you don't know if it will be any good, but you're out 5 bucks either way.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That cantaloupe looks delicious. We harvested some whopper hybrids here. I was not impressed with the flavor of one. We'll see how the other one tastes later this week. Do you really think you'll be getting tomatoes well into September? I hope we do too. Blight is really bad here. I wonder if our uniquely high humidity is part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I pull a lot of the tomatoes out in the first part of September, but this one is very healthy and has some green tomatoes on it. The weather has stayed hot. So I'm thinking I will get tomatoes.

      Delete
  22. Tomatoes look good! Swiss chard is a marvellous plant, I agree! They produce very reliably for us too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seeing that melon makes me wish that I had the room to grow my own. I lost my first two summer squash but the third one I planted on July 1 has been going gangbusters with no sign of the borer (knock on wood).

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so jealous of your melons and corn! My cantaloupe plants died and we didn't get a single one :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fabulous melon. I will try melon's for the first time this year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your harvest this week too! Yummy looking corn and rockmelon ... I wish I could grow rockmelon on the balcony. I keep meaning to try each year but it gets crowded out with my other favourites. Keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i wish i could grow melons! i've never gotten those to work here. beautiful harvests!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on your one perfect melon! That makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's a truly beautiful melon. It looks like everything is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love how you show your garden work, pulling crops etc. I will take pics tonite of my work this week to post on my blog too! Thanks for your inspiration Daph!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi there! I've just stumbled upon your Harvest Monday idea (a bit late seeing as it's Thursday)! I thought I would share my little balcony garden with you all (in Sydney, Australia) - I've just harvested my second lot of vegies - it's all very exciting.

    ReplyDelete