Saturday, August 18, 2012

Humidity

Last year I saved the zinnia seed from my mixed batch of zinnias. The flower shapes were different, but the only ones I saved were from the bright pink ones. I so love the color of their fluorescent petals. I wonder if next year I'll get more mixed colors. I did get some reds in this batch. Fire engine reds that clash a little with the pink.

I have zinnias in two places. Inside my garden fence by the chamomile and along the rock wall garden just as you come into our yard. This year in the second spot I put in some Sensation cosmos. I've been very displeased with them. They look ratty and mildewy. One section bloomed nicely but now has stopped as it is setting seed. Another section hasn't bloomed at all. I'm contemplating ripping them out, but the weather has been so humid that I just can't seem to get myself to work in the garden at all.

I did do one little chore this week. I weeded the above kale. Yes there is kale lost in there. The kale gets ignored way too much. I can see into my other row covers, but the Agribon is too opaque really. So I don't see the weeds.

I finally got around to taking care of them. I weeded both sides and thinned the kale to about 8" apart. I have some dwarf kale that I'll leave at 8", but the others will have every other one thinned out (and eaten). There are just three rows going down this 4' wide bed. Each row has a different kale.

Most of what I've been doing is avoiding the garden. With the humidity so high this week it has been hard to be outside. Yesterday it broke a little and I took advantage by biking with a friend. Next week they claim it will be much nicer. The temperatures will be lower and the humidity won't be as oppressive. Maybe I spend more time in the garden. That chard really needs to get picked. It has been three weeks already. Usually I pick it every two weeks. Luckily not much is happening in the garden right now, so I don't need to do many chores.

11 comments:

  1. I too am waiting for a break in the humidity to do some real work in the garden. It's looking pretty ugly in there! It's about all I can do to get in there and harvest so the weeds are having a field day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've grown Sonata cosmos a few times and they always end up with powdery mildew also, although they tend to put on a good show befor the PM makes them too ratty. Darn near everything remotely susceptible to PM will get it if I grow it, it's from our cool foggy nights. The pink zinnias are pretty and electric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We finally had a break in temps this week. It dropped from 105 last week to only 85-90 this week. I spent as much time in the garden as I could but I still did not get caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still in the 100s here, so the garden is getting only what absolutely has to be done, which is picking the crops. The heat is beginning to get to me, I can just close my eyes and ignore the weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The humidity has been so awful even the grass isn't drying out enough to mow. We have also had a lot of rain and thundershowers. The moisture is really taking its toll on the garden. The tomato foliage is all diseased and the weeds and grass have taken over. It will take a good amount of time to tame things. I know I should be happy to have rain, but I wish I could give some away to others in need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I can stop complaining about heat and humidity. SoCal has nothing on you guys. Stay cool and can't wiat to see the fall garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry! Humidity saps my will, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love zinnias. They remind me of old-time gardens, because so many around here planted zinnias. I need to save some seed of mine this year. We're getting those lower temps and humidity now. It's such a nice break!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The humidity here has been high as well. I have been avoiding the outdoors after work all week.

    I've always gotten a range of colors from self saved zinnia seed. I saved seed from a salmon zinnia last yeat. This year their are salmon and deep pink and light pink. At least the colors blend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love hot pink as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those zinnias are really gorgeous! Was a hot one here (for a change) but not humid like you are experiencing. I hope the weather calms down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete