Monday, September 15, 2014

Harvest Monday 15 September 2014

This was my only full mixed harvest basket of the week. I had to pick the kohlrabis as they were getting too big. I think I have one more that is desperate that I'll get to this week. I figured they might have woody spots and I was right. But they were small and easy to cut around. The Chinese cabbage wasn't so great and I only added in half the weight as I had to cut so much out.

This may be the last year of growing Napa in my garden. It never keeps and has all sorts of trouble from insects to disease to growth problems. The Michihili is almost always good. I had one in my fridge for about two months over the summer as I ate a leaf or two at a time (the leaves of Michihili are just huge). The only flaw with that kind of cabbage is that it is really tall and I can't keep it in my regular plastic storage containers. I need to use two plastic shopping bags, one on either end, to contain it in the fridge. Next year I might be trying more varieties of Michihili if I can find them. Napa is easy to find but the taller cabbage, not so much.

My zucchinis are finally in the swing of things, just in time for the weather to cool down. I hope they keep pumping out a few every week like they have been though. Then I can eat two and freeze one or visa versa.

Though the summer beans are gone, the fall beans are producing well. These are Kentucky Wonder. It is another variety that I think I won't grow again. Golden Gate was so much healthier.

Remember the spring carrots I picked and put in separate containers so I could eat them at the right rate before the fall carrots came in? Well it worked out perfectly. I had carrots to eat all summer long. And once they finished up I could go out and pick the first of the fall carrots. These are Mokums and one of them got 9" long. I've never had one longer than 8" before and usually they are shorter for me. One of the reasons these did so well is they were put after the spring brassicas. I have nematode problems in my garden. Whatever kind of nematodes I have don't like the brassicas. I know mustards actually fumigate the soil of them. Next spring I HAVE to put them after the mustards. These carrots show no sign of nematode damage at all. I'm a little worried about the storage carrots though. I grew them after the fava beans. I just hope they won't be too infected and not grow well.

As you can see the harvest has gone way down this week. I pretty much photographed everything and I only had four photos. The weights are back into the single digits. I will have some big harvests this fall as I harvest storage crops - sweet potatoes, squash, and carrots. But except for those weeks, the harvests will be steady (hopefully) but lighter.

  • Beans: 0.91 lbs
  • Carrot: 1.33 lbs
  • Greens: 3.17 lbs
  • Greens, Asian: 1.06 lbs
  • Herbs: 0.06 lbs
  • Squash, Summer: 1.97 lbs
  • Weekly Total: 8.49 lbs
  • Yearly Total: 456.66 lbs
  • Yearly Tally: $668.82

<

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

21 comments:

  1. I discovered that I like zucchini noodles. Never much liked zucchini itself unless it was disguised. Like in bread or pancakes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see your fall carrots coming in! I didn't let my spring Mokums get as big in diameter as yours--do they still taste as good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know mustards actually fumigate the soil of nematode must remember that, thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your carrots look great! So happy you discovered that planting them after brassicas work wonders for their health. Crazy that your zucchini is getting a second wind. I hop it produces well for you before frost. I didn't harvest much from the garden this week, but shared a post on preserving the harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those carrots look awesome. I'm afraid I sowed mine way too late as the foliage is still tiny & there really is no way they can size up before the cold weather. I must remember to take the "Days to Harvest" listing on the packets with a grain of salt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some big Mokums! I'm not nearly as organized as you with the carrots, but our spring carrots are hanging on too. I didn't plant any fall beans, and yours look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, thanks for the info regarding the benefit to carrots if they follow brassicas. Right now, in my rotation, my carrots follow the squash. During the long winter, I will have to reconsider my plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful harvest, especially those beans and carrots. Very lovely. Interesting info about brassicas/nematode, will have to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read recently about the "fumigating" effect of mustards. The author was suggesting it as a cover crop. The carrots are striking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The carrots are awesome!! We are really struggling with carrots this year. We have been depending on the rain to water our garden for the last 4 weeks and that was fine for most crops but it really hurt our carrots. Oh well there's always next year right!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have a nematode problem, but the cover crop blend that I used in my solanum bed this spring was primarily mustard and was hugely popular with the earth worms. After I dug the cover crop in it disappeared in about 10 days, the worms had a feast and my soil has never looked better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your fall beans look like what we call runner beans, I still have some growing, though they are beginning to taste a bit stringy now. By the way why will you not grow this one again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually this one is not a runner bean, but Kentucky Wonder. I won't grow it again because it is really prone to the rust in my garden. The Golden Gate pole bean resists it much better and rust is a major bean disease here. If not for that it would be a great bean. It is very prolific and tasty at least until it gets taken down.

      Delete
  13. You have some lovely veg and the carrots do look very good (as Sue has commented).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to know about the brassicas inhibiting nematodes, especially mustard. I like Kentucky Wonder beans, they have a terrific flavor but when they taste the best is when strings develop. I'm thinking of trying Kentucky Blue next year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very impressed with the carrots! I'm rubbish at growing them and am happy to get a handful....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely carrots! How do you get 'spring' brassicas ... I recall you had broccoli very early and maybe cauliflower? Do you start it inside in the middle of winter? I think the earliest I've ever had any was early August but then I don't really know what I'm doing with brassicas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well kale overwinters here if I choose the right varieties, so in the spring they produce. Asian greens are really fast. Most of their harvests are in spring. Harvests of these usually start in May. Broccoli is usually late June. I plant in early April typically.

      Delete
    2. Wow, plant in April and have broccoli in late June! Hmm I will have to reassess my schedule ...

      Delete
  17. It is sad to see the harvest dwindling but makes us more thankful for the fewer things. Your carrots sure do look wonderful and your zucchini! I am on vacation so don't know if I have any left. Nancy

    ReplyDelete