Monday, September 22, 2014

Harvest Monday 22 September 2014

I've been eating about a pound and a half of carrots every week. It has been a good year for carrots so far. Which makes me happy as I just love them.

I picked enough kale to freeze. I picked all the lower leaves off so that when I sprayed for the second time I wouldn't have as much to cover. Then of course I haven't gotten around to the second spraying. I really need to do this as curly kale is hard to wash. Also in the basket is the first of the fennel seed from the first sowing of fennel. It had better hurry to ripen up the rest of the seed. There is a LOT of seed on the plant that just looks green and is staying that way. I can still pick it for eating, but I do want to save a good bit for future plantings.

I hadn't noticed how large this later planted fennel had gotten. I really need to keep a better eye on them as they are better small.

My sole zucchini. I wish I had more. I've loved putting it in about everything. I do hate how little I got this year, but I do love the taste of this zucchini. Sadly I haven't been freezing any recently.

Beauregard, Garnet, and Pruple

And as I showed you yesterday, I picked half of the sweet potatoes. The Purples did fabulously. The Garnets did well. And the Beauregards were a flop this year.

  • Carrots: 1.56 lbs
  • Greens: 3.42 lbs
  • Herbs: 1.51 lbs
  • Squash, Summer: 1.07 lbs
  • Sweet Potatoes: 19.45 lbs
  • Weekly Total: 27.01 lbs
  • Yearly Total: 483.67 lbs
  • Yearly Tally: $755.92

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

25 comments:

  1. Home grown carrots can't be beaten but I'm afraid that I don't like fennel. Love the little nose sneaking into shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great harvest! I wish I could say that it was a good carrot year for me as well but it surely wasn't. I guess I need to work on my soil fertility and watering schedule. Love the sweet potatoes. We don't really eat them but I'd at least like to grow one plant next year to just of the heck of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Fennel has to be treated vary carefully in food; it can easily overpower. I have only tried growing it once, but it all bolted - probably due to my dry sandy soil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a good year for carrots here too. We love them and can easily eat a pound a week. I am impressed with your sweet potato harvest especially since this seemed like a cooler than normal summer. It looks like Purple is adapting over the years. Those are some huge sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kale did not do well this year only a few survived, nursing them hoping they will give a good fall crop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still a respectable harvest despite being late in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I had your luck with carrots. I can't get them to even germinate in my garden. The sweet potatoes look great, wish I had the room to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have encouraged me to try growing sweet potatoes next year. Do you eat the greens too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll add my envy of your carrots to Thomas & David's - Wish I had left mine in the ground longer to beef up a bit instead of doing that failure of a second sowing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful harvest for late September in New England.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking sweet potatoes and carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those carrots look great!! We have been about 6 months without carrots and the fall crop is not looking very good right now so I'm pretty jealous of yours! Our zucchini was pretty slow this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Dave goes gaga for carrots and I can't possibly grow enough to keep him happy - he has to make do with what comes from the farmer's market. He would be really envious of your carrots. Maybe I'll try harder next year to grow him some more. Your curly kale looks great. I avoid the curly types now, they always get totally infested with aphids in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful sweet potato harvest! I never know exactly what my plants produce as I rob them all year long. But, what I can tell you is that while i might get one or two large tubers of orange a year my purple consistently produces lunkers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another reader envious of your carrots! I haven't had any luck with my spring sown carrots - - I think it gets too hot here - - but I'm hoping for a fall harvest. Great looking harvest, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looking carrots and kale and harvest! Do you think the dog is thinking about eating some of that Kale?? I don't think Coco would even eat kale but who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic sweet potato. Mmm I love it but we hardly ever buy I t as try not to get too much from overseas. I hope to try growing it one year when I get the greenhouse sorted on the allotment, and grow in an old black plastic bin which will help it get warm. I've seen Matron from Down on the Allotment do this in the UK.
    Heehee your doggie was curious like my kitty was this week (also for greens)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tried growing fennel in a SWC this year. The results haven't been so great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your garden photos are always so fascinating.

    We don't do great with fennel. It tends to get woody before it plumps up. But since it's a host plant for anise swallowtail butterflies, we grow it anyway. So far this year, we've released fourteen butterflies into the world, thanks to our woody fennel patch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's an impressive sweet potato harvest. I take it you won't be growing Beauregards again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I won't. I'll stick to the other ones that do so much better.

      Delete
  21. What a great harvest. Just love the sweet potatoes. What are you using to screen your compost?
    Cheers
    Louise

    ReplyDelete