Monday, September 29, 2014

Harvest Monday 29 September 2014

I had a couple of kale harvests this last week before I finally got around to spraying insecticidal soap on the plants to keep those aphids down. For the first one I forgot about the photo until I had it all torn up to blanch.

I had to harvest carrots three times as I kept using them up for things. I made soup. And I made a lot of burritos for my husband. I like to put a lot of veggies in them as he will eat them that way. I used a lot of onions from storage this week too. I now have enough burritos for him to last until spring. Which is very nice as I can't cook it without having the windows open or my lungs start to hurt. I really don't get along with those tomatoes and peppers sadly. It sure smells good when they are cooking though. While I was at it I made a big batch of chili too. Luckily for me the weather has been just beautiful this last week so it was nice having the windows open all day long.

Also in that last photo are two overgrown kohlrabis. I hope they are edible. If not I'll take them out of the tally later. The last two that were like this I could eat without a problem. But you never know. They can get woody when they get too big. I picked all the Napa cabbage too which had some kind of fungal disease in it. One head was beautiful, but the other two had most of their leaves stripped off.

I had to pick two batches of cilantro. One for my husband's burritos. And one for my enchiladas. I make an avocado cilantro enchilada which is pretty decent. Like my husband's meals I make the sauce in a big batch and freeze it. When I have them for dinner I'll make the corn tortillas up fresh. It seems strange, but I've found that I love zucchini in my enchiladas. It is too bad I didn't have too much zucchini this week.

None of the zucchinis wanted to set this week. So I decided to start picking the little baby ones. I can sort of tell when they will set and when they won't. I left two that might set. I hope so.

At least the chard keeps pumping out the leaves. Unlike the zucchini, it is a work horse that is doing its job this year. It has hit about 4 pounds per square foot of production. That doesn't match the cucumbers which takes the production prize this year at about twice that, but it might have second place.
  • Carrots: 4.18 lbs
  • Greens: 7.18 lbs
  • Greens, Asian: 6.72 lbs
  • Herbs: 0.18 lbs
  • Squash, Summer: 0.60 lbs
  • Sweet Potatoes: 3.91 lbs
  • Weekly Total: 23.99 lbs
  • Yearly Total: 507.66 lbs
  • Yearly Tally: $809.94

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

23 comments:

  1. I hope the Kohlrabi turns out OK. Your photo of the Coriander / Cilantro made me shudder though. As you know, I am very allergic to it and have to be careful when eating out, as it seems to be put in so many dishes these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out coriander/cilantro rarely produces a large amount of growth before it seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that across the world there is harvest symmetry - carrots, kale and cabbage here too. I hope the kholrabi was edible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful head of napa cabbage, sorry about the others. My chards are doing very well this year too, wonder if it has to do with the cool August we had?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My harvest Monday has turned into destruction Monday in the garden. Not much came out of the garden this week so I shared a post on saving the harvest instead. Luckily, I can enjoy the harvest photos here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much came out of your garden this week - I'm definitely envious. The countdown to the garden cleanup has started for me and since I wasn't as diligent about fall crops as I could have been, my harvests will likely be tiny from here on in. Hopefully I'll be more on top of things next year and have a more bountiful fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are still producing so much nice stuff! I know you've said you don't like the Napa cabbage (from a production standpoint) but it sure is nice looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good looking carrots. It has been a good year for carrots. I planted a bed of them mid summer and they are looking very healthy. Your cabbage looks great. Mine did not fare so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having camera problems and taking a break from blogging from here. I did have huge harvest of peppers as I cut them down on Saturday. Got the last of the Juliette tomatoes, the last cucumbers. Zucchini still going strong which is amazing since borers usually kill them off. I have snow peas flowering so pods can't be far behind. One butternut squash plant gave me 5 big squashes. Life is good. Must get the camera fixed or buy another one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, things are looking great!! I'm afraid my fall garden is going to be a flop this year, between weather and work I haven't had the time I normally do to work on things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can only dream of kale and carrots. I roasted beets last week when the weather cooled briefly and I longed for the winter garden. Again, your carrots are beautiful. You make such good use of your entire growing season!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your carrots look great. I finally got a bunch to germinate and so far the sow bugs haven't mown them down, but I don't know how they will grow when started this late, even in my mild winter. Too bad your zucchini didn't produce like your cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great harvest. Everything is looking good. I particularly envy your carrots. I got 2 carrot seeds to germinate in 10 squares of bed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oo! I can smell the cilantro from Wisconsin! I should follow your lead and freeze some kale. I always plant too much to keep up with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a really nice fall harvest, a bit of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks good! And has reminded me I need to check on my few carrots and pick some greens :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely harvest as always. Zucchini in enchiladas? I'll eat anything with cheese and sour cream (and I will feel really awful if you aren't eating dairy anymore, but I think you are?!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful Kale and Carrots! My Kale has started growing back after being stripped. Using some in my smoothies. I forgot I planted just a few seeds of swiss chard so you have reminded me to go check on that! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm jealous of your kale. I feel like I've asked this before but does the soap mix work for cabbage worms too?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish my carrots looked as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love seeing the pictures of everyone's harvest! It's interesting to see how similar and different they are. I'm looking forward to my first harvest and you bet I'll be photographing it, even if it's a sad looking rocket leaf, lol.

    ReplyDelete