Sunday, May 24, 2015

Planting Sweet Potatoes

Today I was out early this morning planting my sweet potatoes. Today is the first of seven days that are predicted to be in the 80s, maybe even higher later in the week. The slips were ready, so I put them in. On the northern side I used the mycorrhizal fungi and didn't closer to the compost. I'll see if one does better than the other. I'm probably not going to weigh one side versus the other as the middle ones have fungi so it would be uneven. In addition it is sometimes hard to tell where the roots came from at least with the Purples. But I think I'll get a feeling if one side is doing better or not.

I did this experiment with the early planted lettuce and with the peas. I found no difference in growth at all. I'm not too surprised as the fungi sometimes doesn't work as well in cold soils. But the soil will be quite warm with the sweet potatoes.

Garden in the early morning

In addition I did a few other chores. I watered the garden and new front perennial bed. I planted the beans which will be fed to my townhouse mates. The soil had been prepped earlier so it wasn't much work. Ditto for some coriander and some butternut squash. And in the broccoli bed the root maggots took down one of the plants. One is still fighting, but smaller. I left the one that might pull through, but the other I took out and put in some seed. I've never direct seeded broccoli before, but I figure it can't hurt. If it doesn't take then it will wait until I start a new batch later in the year.

6 comments:

  1. What are the canes for, Daphne? (1st photo).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered exactly the same as Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks wonderful, Daphne! So abundant and alive! All I'm doing in the garden these days is battling weeds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely early morning shot, the beds are so full.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll probably be transplanting mine out next week, I'm thinking. That's good to know about the mycorrhizal fungi - It's quite expensive and I wouldn't want to waste it by applying it when it wasn't going to be effective.

    ReplyDelete