Monday, June 22, 2015

Harvest Monday, 22 June 2015

Lettuce and bunching onions

First kohlrabi

Kale and first small cabbage

Onions, first fennel, first celery, parsley, cilantro, and pea shoot

Sage

First broccoli, broccoli leaves, kale, raspberries

Peas

One of two strawberry harvests

A small amount of raspberries get picked every day

The first of the currants

I had a few firsts this week. I let the fennel sort of self seed in the bed (put seed heads from last year on the bed). They came up thick. I thinned them down, but they need more thinning. It is at the point that I can eat my thinnings. So that has been a treat. The first kohlrabis were picked. I'll need to pick more next week. I planted 15 so there is a lot left to go. I picked the first little cabbage. I noticed some slug damage, so picked it before the slugs could get too far in. I picked the first celery. In previous years it wasn't as strong. But this year it seems to be growing better. I'm not sure why. But I'm going to be harvesting the outer leaves as it grows now. In the past I've waited to pick the head in fall.

The biggest first is the broccoli. I love broccoli and am always happy for the first harvest. This one had three big heads, so I started freezing it too. And last but not least are the currants. Last year I just threw them into my smoothies. Any fruit goes into those. But I'm contemplating making currant jam for the first time. I give jam as holiday gifts to the neighbors. It varies by what is good from the garden. I think the currant harvest will be wonderful this year, so I'll probably have enough.

  • Alliums, 1.83 lbs
  • Broccoli, 4.66 lbs
  • Greens, 7.05 lbs
  • Herbs, 1.03 lbs
  • Peas 1.78 lbs
  • Weekly total, 16.34
  • Yearly total, 144.67 lbs, $217.06

  • Fruits
  • Strawberries, 1.74 lbs
  • Raspberries, 0.61 lbs
  • Currants, 0.61 lbs
  • Fruit Yearly total, 22.2 lbs

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

26 comments:

  1. The strawberries, raspberries, and currents look like jewels. The red scallions are pretty too and will add a nice pop of color to however you are preparing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By co-incidence post today was about firsts, some were the same as yours.

    Our redcurrants are just beginning to ripen and although the raspberries are loaded with fruit we have a way ti go before any pickings, Is that Glencoe the purple raspberry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your broccoli is ahead of mine, and bigger. I need to harvest the currants too. I'm still not sure what to do with them, but I guess I will have to figure that out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, my meager harvest pales in comparison. Yours is just lovely. I wish I had grown scallions--maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the broccoli, those are beautiful heads. Your garden is really starting to produce now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, nice broccoli! Mine are way behind yours but I'm just happy that I have some on the way. What a great harvest you have this week! My kohlrabi are barely the size of marbles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you know when to harvest kohlrabi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever it sizes up. Different ones can get to different sizes, but 3" is typical. You can pick them earlier though.

      Delete
  8. You've got a wonderful variety of harvests now. It's all so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, every thing is looking great this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful harvests - the colour on the currants is amazing! I also find the cone shaped cabbage intriguing - I had never seen one like that until just this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah! That broccoli! I was so excited to have started mine so early. I had them planted out and protected from the cold... ... but then the baby rabbits began to forage, and, well, you can imagine. I have new starts sizing up and will just have to wait for a late broccoli harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what an amazing harvest - so much variety! Slugs have eaten all of my fennel, so I'm drooling over yours. And your berries look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure if I'll have enough scapes, but I'm looking for your dressing recipe? Let me know where to find the link, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://daphnesdandelions.blogspot.com/2010/06/what-to-do-with-garlic-scape.html

      Delete
    2. Got it, thanks! And I definitely have enough.

      Delete
  14. I'm looking forward to more harvests. For now, I'm just weeding and checking the status of my herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely harvests Daphne. I've had redcurrants too, a tasty zing. I sometimes make redcurrant jelly with cinnamon, or freeze them and make blackberry and redcurrant jam later. This year as we have a bigger freezer I'll just save most of them to make mixed fruit breakfast toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice diverse harvest, looks fantastic. As a kid my mother and grandmother both made currant jelly, red and black. I always liked it on rye bread.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your strawberries are so gorgeous! I'm hoping to get a bed established next spring once I pick a spot at our new house.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice size currants. I am growing some pink ones in a container. It 's a nice ornamental plant as well...

    ReplyDelete
  19. The weekly harvest looks great Daphne. The sage is just beautiful. I bought some rosemary this year and would really like to expand my herb plants. I also need to buy some strawberry plants. I keep buying them at the Farmers Market each week. I need to grow my own!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are harvesting such a huge variety of spring vegetables and berries. Wonderful. Love all your herbs, I can't wait to get some perennial herbs planted.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh wow, daphne, everything looks so fresh and beautiful and so super-foody! just so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete