Monday, June 29, 2015

Harvest Monday, 29 June 2015

The greens are coming in slower. I did pick chard this last week, but never got around to the kale. I'll probably get to that today. It is a big change from a few weeks ago when I had to pick and process greens every single day to keep up.

Some lettuce that needed to come out. Both are romaines. That pretty red romaine that I couldn't figure out what it was? Well it is Red Romaine. Who would have guessed. I totally forgot that Baker Creek gave me a surprise packet of that one. It has started to bolt when I picked it, but it still tasted sweet. The problem is that it didn't head up well before it bolted, so it probably isn't a good one for a later planting. Though it might do well earlier in the spring.

Kohlrabi and turnips

The broccoli was going to flower if I didn't pick it so I picked a lot all at once. It wasn't the prettiest broccoli in the world, but still tasty. I froze some and saved some to eat this week.

Snowpeas

Chives all cleaned up

The first of the carrots came in this week. I love carrots. They are one of the vegetables that if I run out, I'll buy it from the store anyway. So I'm happy to be eating my own again. I can say the same for onions, but I've been mostly using the scallions instead of bulbing onions right now. Only occasionally I'll need a real one. Soon I'll be picking my bulbing onions and I'll be happy not to have to buy those.

Currants were the big fruit harvest this week. I also had a good amount of raspberries and just a half pound of strawberries. Both the raspberries and strawberries are coming to a close. But the raspberries are everbearers so they will start producing again in a month or so.

  • Alliums, 0.79 lbs
  • Broccoli, 7.51 lbs
  • Carrots, 2.89 lbs
  • Greens, 8.18 lbs
  • Herbs, 0.75 lbs
  • Peas 2.19 lbs
  • Roots, 1.15 lbs
  • Weekly total, 23.47
  • Yearly total, 168.14 lbs, $292.69

  • Fruits
  • Strawberries, 0.58 lbs
  • Raspberries, 1.24 lbs
  • Currants, 2.99 lbs
  • Fruit Yearly total, 27.03 lbs

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

23 comments:

  1. What a great and varied harvest. I love this time of year! You are going to be busy preserving things (for some time to come, as well).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for freezers but did you have to show me those carrots?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a nice mix of things coming in from the garden, fruits and veggies alike! I went and did a taste test on our currants and I have to say the white one is milder in flavor and about the same sweetness as the red. Of course sweet is relative since I wouldn't exactly call our red ones sweet, more like 'pleasantly tart'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful harvest, quite a variety. With all that you didn't need a lot of greens. I have to get to my chard again because it has flopped over the cucumbers, shading them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, so much broccoli! I'm hoping to harvest something soon just waiting for it to size up. The currants have such a beautiful colour - I'm not sure if I've ever seen fresh currants before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great harvest this week. We are sure missing carrots this year. We planted twice but both plantings were washed out by the huge amount of rain we had in April and May!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such bountiful harvests. I'm always amazed by the consistent productivity of your garden. You're attentive to keep every square inch utilized. Those of us who can garden year round don't have the same pressure of "winter is coming."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful harvests! That basket full of peas is to be envied. I haven't grown snow peas but my son is growing them this year and I'm sure they will end up in my part of the garden this fall or next spring.

    I'm hoping this post has given me the needed incentive to get on with one of the tasks that I have been putting off every week for a couple of months now...I-will-sow-my-carrots-today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really do have a nice variety of veggies coming out of the garden now. But how nice, in a way, that you're not slaving over those greens any more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and varied harvest, I gave up in growing currant and gooseberry, they don't do well here, I'm still trying to get a hang of growing carrots, hopefully some day I'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We really love carrots here too. I think Kevin could eat carrots every day. Ours are still tiny though. Yours look like perfect snack sized.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your harvest is absolutely awesome, shows how hard work can pay off. I am especially admiring your carrots and red currants, jewels in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of those peas! Ours never make it into the house. You continually encourage me to plant more intensively. Thank you for your example!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, I've been reading for a while but this is my first time linking up, I hope that's ok, my harvest for the month is tiny compared to yours, but I've only had my garden for a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great harvest! I love all of the colors and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, the carrots! I just realised a small patch I had sown and come up ( and had been weeding etc) is actually self sown nigella seedlings, the carrots are nowhere to be seen! But they are v similar seedlings, doh.
    And you also reminded me I forgot to include a big tub of redcurrants on my harvest, nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought I had nothing to post today, but reading your list reminds me that I have chives, green onions, and I might have radishes. If I don't have radishes yet, I will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your snow peas look amazing! Mine have only just started to climb up the trellis, so it wil a few weeks before I can start harvesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Daphne, So many nice things! Enjoy! My snow peas are done and my raspberries are just starting turn. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a rich harvest. Last year I planted some of that free Baker Creek romaine seed. It did nicely and tasted good, but never did form true romaine heads. You grew a lot of peas for someone who doesn't eat them. Your neighbors are lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The currants look amazing! They are definitely on my list of must have plants!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't get over how stunning your harvests are. It's really inspiring me to plant the cooler weather crops this fall.

    ReplyDelete