Monday, October 6, 2008

Autumn Chill

Brrr. The weather has changed how I garden. It is so cold in the morning. I just can't make myself get out the door. I've been waiting for the warmest part of the day - mid afternoon, and still I wonder why I didn't wear my coat outside.

We finally turned the heat on this weekend. It was getting below 60F inside in the mornings so I was ready. The down throws are on the couch so we can keep warm at night. Now I just need to find my warm slippers. I'm sure they are somewhere in the house.

Anyway I went out this afternoon and shivered as I looked around the garden. It is in a lull. Nothing much is going on. The blooms are slowly fading off the plants. Leaves are turning yellow and brown. Though there was beauty to be found, it was depressing to think that everything was dying.

The broccoli saved me from despondency. I was checking under its row cover for caterpillars and I found a little florette had formed. You probably can't see it in the photo, but it is there. The other four plants don't show signs of flowering yet, but it was enough to put a smile back on my face.

3 comments:

  1. It is gettin' chilly in your neck of the woods.

    Ah winter time - it is a sad time for us gardeners - well unless of course you have a greenhouse, hothouse, or cold frame - none of which I have. We are trying our hand at growing some things indoors this winter, which helped me get over the decline of the community garden. Not sure how it will go, but it has been an inexpensive and enjoyable experience thus far. The plants we started are all still alive at this point.

    Wahoo about your broccoli, I bet that was enough to put a smile on your face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have grown things indoors in the past, but without a greenhouse or at least south facing windows it is hard. All my windows are face SW or SE. So they would get really weak sun for less than half the day. Unless I supplemented with artificial light, they don't grow well. I used to have the energy to do that. I grew Tiny Toms on the windowsill, but not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to believe it's October. I found big fat buds on some Alcea that I started from seed earlier this winter - fingers crossed that I have hollyhock flowers before the snow flies. Looks like you'll be putting water on to boil for a broccoli feed before you know it!

    ReplyDelete