Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Visiting Turkeys

I've been very busy posting about other things, but wanted to share a couple of fun photos. New Year's Eve brought a heavy snow storm for us, maybe 9 inches. We were supposed to go to a friend's party, but their town was having a snow emergency (no street parking) and we thought it was the height of folly to drive in the snow storm with all the not quite sober people.

So we stayed home and invited over a few friends that live close. Two families could just walk, but two had to drive in. They had to park in the driveway so the plows could get by. I went downstairs (we have a split) to check out front to make sure the driveway was still clear for them to park in. Who should I see in the front yard but the neighborhood turkeys.

I was getting worried about them. I hadn't seen them in a long time. I wasn't sure if they would get enough food this year. Like the rest this quadrent of the US, we had no acorns this year. I figured the squirrels and chipmunks that usually collect them would have to be eating other things and the turkeys would have more food competition.

They are still there, all 14 of them. It put a smile on my face. They came in to the yard to eat my holly berries. I have two female hollies that flank either side of my front landing. DH took these photos just inside our door and he was just three feet from the closest birds. Now I'm really hoping holly berries aren't poisonous to birds like they are to people.

3 comments:

  1. Now, that is cool to see! It's pretty rare to see turkeys out in the wild, because they are very smart! Thanks for sharing those photos.

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't turkeys fun to watch! It's been months since I've seen them around here, but I'm sure they're out there. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very awesome pics. I've never seen a wild gobbler! I doubt they'd eat the holly berries if they were poisonous - don't they have instincts about stuff like that? Nice of you to "provide" their food!

    ReplyDelete