Monday, October 29, 2012

Harvest Monday, October 28th, 2012

My typical harvest basket got a lot smaller this week. The peas are holding in there, but this was the last of the beans. After picking them, I pulled the plants. I enjoyed having fall beans this year. I've never planted beans for the fall before since I consider them a summer crop, but it worked out quite well.

Last week the main bean bed got pulled out and I picked all the dried beans. Some weren't dry enough so I used them as shelling beans. I didn't separate the varieties, I just used the mishmash of beans all together.

Since it was going to rain for days here, I figured I ought to have a good selection of veggies for the fridge. I had a nice bok choy. It was the last of the Joi Chois left in the garden. It hadn't grown well and was tiny when I was picking the others. But once the others were picked it had the bed to itself for weeks, so grew up quite well. The cabbage is Early Jersey. I have two more of them left in the garden. One quite small. I hope it gets bigger.

The harvests are getting smaller. If you don't count the two weeks when I was gone on vacation, it is the first harvest total under ten pounds since May started. Sometimes the quantity gets out of control and is more than I can eat. I think that is done for the year and my fridge is under control.

  • Beans 0.08
  • Carrots 0.73 lbs
  • Greens 3.44 lbs
  • Herbs 0.04 lbs
  • Peas 0.19 lbs
  • Weekly total 4.48 lbs
  • Yearly total 611.52 lbs
  • Tally $1178.11

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

18 comments:

  1. I've always struggled with what to call drying beans that you don't actually dry - 'shelling beans' it shall be from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a colorful mishmash of beans. I was going to stock my fridge, but on second thought decided to leave the carrots,lettuce and other crops in the garden. In case of power outage I just harvest what I need from the garden no need to open the fridge. Carrots and lettuce need no cooking. I do have a portable propane stove so can do a little cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the look of those mixed bean very colourful. I like growing bean in autumn as it fill in the gap while we wait for the brassica to be ready for harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful beans! Your Choi looks beautiful too! Mine are all small varieties, I will try something bigger next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have the pole beans to take down and they have matured pods on that I intend to harvest and use as dried or shelling beans. We are scheduled for steady rains this week ourselves so it may be awhile yet before I bring them in.

    Lucky you to still be getting fresh peas - they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup! I'm done too....Cabbage looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the look of all the beans together. One of my favorite soups is that way all mixed together. MMMmmm... And it is FINALLY chilly here. Time for some of that soup, me thinks! Thanks for the idea. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fall-winter garden is almost fully planted. Here we go again. I think there is something nice about taking a rest, though I'm more likely to rest during the summer. I like the winter vegetable crops best. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful harvest! Love the peas and beans, will grow more next Year, miss the fresh ones, but still have lots of dried! Hope You will be safe from the storm and have a good week! :) Mia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely beans! Do you take any actions to keep them bug-free, while in storage/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often put my dried beans in the freezer for a few days. But I don't usually have problems with bugs during storage even if I don't do that.

      Delete
  11. Our harvest totals have really slowed down too. Those fall crops just don't weight as much or take up as much space. But even though the harvest are lighter I still enjoy gardening this time of year!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The beans are really pretty all mixed together. I'll be buying my cabbage at the farmer's market this year, I never did get around to starting any and it's too late now. I hope you get through Sandy okay, it looks like a big nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your beans mix looks amazing, I guess they will be delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to thank you once again for this beautiful blog meme. If it weren't for this I would have no true idea of how much food we got from our first attempt at gardening this spring and early summer, and now the fall garden is starting to give us more!

    http://planetpooks.com/harvest-monday-october-29-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too bad about aphids, but your harvest looks gorgeous, as usual. The fresh bean mix looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to be getting the little bit of every thing harvest that you are still getting! Everything looks delicious! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. My fall peas were a total bust. I started up some again in the hoop house, but I don't think they'll have enough time to mature. Will see... Your Asian greens are always so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete