Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Anyone Know of a Good Rain Dance?

My husband keeps telling me how good the solar has been on our house so far. And indeed it has. It shouldn't be. It is spring time in Boston. It should be raining, cloudy, drizzly. Anything but wonderful sunny days in the high 60Fs and low 70Fs for days on end. And there is no end in sight to this gorgeous weather. I'm not complaining, but the garden is. I noticed I had lost two of my spring spinach plants.

The overwintered spinach is doing fine, but not growing as quickly as it ought to. I was afraid all my carrot seedlings with just seed leaves would fall over and die. So I watered the garden today. I just can't believe I had to water on May 1st.

I had to join Granny in dealing with my squash. It wouldn't last much longer. So half of the butternut squash got baked and pureed. Unlike Granny I puree mine in the blender. It is very smooth that way.

The other half got peeled and chopped. I lightly steamed it. It is cooked enough that you could eat it now, but not enough that it would mush down when vacuum sealing it.

I have two Tetsukabuto squash left. I didn't do anything with them as my hands were getting tired and sore. I'll wait until tomorrow. I'll probably not even peel or cook these. I'll chop them into big cubes. They will be for soup later on. I'm not going to grow this kind of squash again. I think I'm going to stick to butternuts as they are so tasty and productive.

9 comments:

  1. I puree mine in the blender if I'm going to use it as a substitute for pumpkin, but we like a little more texture to it when eating as our starchy vegetable. I gave some blender squash to Mr. Granny and he accused me of feeding him baby food :-) Of course, this is the same Mr. Granny who won't eat a butternut "pumpkin" pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for an overcast day to transplant some seedlings, but there hasn't been any lately. I may need to rig up some shade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had sun the past couple of days! Seems so good except I am hoping for rain next week while we are on vacation so my garden gets watered! Squash looks good. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little to no rain in April, May and on until October is not unusual here, although this winter has been unusually dry. What has been weird lately is that it has been warm too. We've got a heat advisory for tomorrow, but I think that it's not going to be as hot as predicted, it's pretty cool tonight. But it has been really strange after 2 consecutive springs that have been cooler than usual, now it's warmer than usual. Just what is "normal" these days? I hope your watering revived your poor little carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good reminder to do squash. And yes, it's dry and hot here. I HATE paying for garden water, but what are you going to do? Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had to water several times already. And my carrots did fall over and die. If I knew the weather was going to stay cold for this long, I would have planted more lettuces. I wonder if I could still start from seeds at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully the rain will come sooner than later for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been dry here too - I am watering every day at the moment despite it heading into winter. Annoying isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I did know a rain dance... we've not had rain in a month and we could do with a dose. Still we here in the Highlands of the Riverina are MUCH greener than around Yass and Goulburn (places you wont know but still I am feeling sorry for my neighbours). Thankfully we still have 60% full water tank. We are always so very frugal as this is our ONLY water source.

    I hope it rains for you, and, if you find out what the dance is, please send it over the equator right down to southern Australia.

    ReplyDelete