Thursday, May 16, 2013

What Makes a Gardener Excited?

You would think it would only be things in the garden, but nope. My order for glass jars showed up. Above is a non-quilted jelly jar. I'm not a fan of the quilted kind so I decided I needed more and would order them online. Now I have nice smooth jars with places to put on a label if I want to. Or I can forgo the label as I can actually see what is inside. I got a case (12 jars) of both the 8oz size and the 4oz size. I hope they hold up as well as the quilted jelly jars do.

Canning trivia fact: Ball put out a line of blue jars this year as a 100th anniversary tribute to to its original jars which were blue. I'm staying away from them. Blue isn't a color I want to see my food through. I prefer the original coloring. Original color of the food that is not of the jars.

I also learned that these bottles are called woozy bottles. Well these are 5oz wide mouth woozy bottles. Anyone have a clue as to why they are called a woozy bottle? I bought them so I could make some infused vinegars as gifts. It is just about herb season around here.

So this morning I was thinking about my bottles and what I would fill them with. I needed to clean the bathroom, but somehow that didn't get done in the morning. I cleaned out my pantry instead. I got rid of the failed experiments from last year, so I can have new experiments in food this year. It is always fun to make new things. Do you see that middle shelf in the above photo? Well that is two jars of jam (one peach/blueberry and one plum) and three jars of strawberry syrup. I need more jam on my shelf. I really don't eat that much jam, but the strawberry jam was SO good. I need more. My favorite use for it is to make thumbprint cookies. Pure butter shortbread with a drop of jam in the middle. Just heaven. And it is almost strawberry season.

The lower part of my pantry has some pickled onions, beans, sweet potatoes, and applesauce. And just a few jars of tomato sauce left. I gave most of it away when I found I couldn't eat tomatoes anymore, but I'm going to make chili and pizza sauce for my husband until it runs out. Cleaning the pantry is so much more fun than cleaning the bathroom. I get to dream about all the things that might get put in here over the year.

18 comments:

  1. I love your pantry and hope to one day be close to having as many different items canned as you do. Where did you get your jars from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.fillmorecontainer.com
      I've bought from them before and so far I have liked their jars. I also like their square half pint mason jar. It has a very nice look to it. Just be warned the prices look nice, but they don't include lids and shipping is high. I like to get at least several boxes when I order so the shipping won't be as bad.

      Delete
    2. I've been looking for square canning jars after finding some old ones at a garage sale. Thanks for the link, and the info. I'll go there and check it out.

      Delete
  2. I like how clean and organized your pantry is. I think I'll go clean and organize my pantry, too, and leave the bathroom alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a pantry to clean. I have a laundry room with a few shelves, and I have a spare closet in the bedroom-turned-man cave. But, one thing I do have is....strawberries! I just went out and picked 9 ounces of them for our dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both your jelly jars and your woozy bottles look so nice. Your pantry is very neat too! I agree much more fun organizing it than cleaning the bathroom! Do you use the recipe on pectin for your strawberry jam? We are not big jam eaters either but I would like to make a little. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I'm very much in the no pectin camp unless you are doing something without any pectin. I do add some under ripe fruit to the batch to make sure there is enough pectin. If it doesn't gel well then it become syrup for my pancakes, but that has only happened once to me.

      Delete
  5. Wow, your pantry is so neat and tidy! (Or is it only like that just after a clean-up?). I spotted the can of PAM. This is something we use too, even though it is hard to find in the UK. Much better than the UK equivalent "Fry-Lite".

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice pantry you have! I hope to have a nice pantry some day for all my JARS! ;)
    Your jars and bottles are lovely! Funny thing how simple things can be so satisfying! Hope you get to that bathroom, I know my cleaning motivations is lacking as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great jars and wonderful pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So neat and tidy pantry!
    Didn't know you can order plain canning jars and bottles, I'll have to look into that, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pantry, but what were your failed experiments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had several. One kind of pickled onion I really ended up disliking. Weirdly I liked it when I originally made it. I didn't like the pickled Chinese cabbage. And the dill pickles - the taste is good but I don't like them because of the texture. I'm not a fan of mushy pickles. This year I'm going to try pickle crisp (calcium chloride).

      Delete
  10. Hi Daphne. I haven't made your flatbread for a while and just noticed the recipe in my file. I like to bake sourdough, have you ever used sourdough in your flatbread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I've never cooked with sourdough. I love it, but I'd forget about it in my fridge and kill it off.

      Delete
    2. Okay, I'll experiment with my starter and your recipe. Daphne, keeping a starter is easier than you think. I just keep a couple jars in the fridge with 1/2 cup starter and take it out a few days before I want to build it up and bake. Then return some starter to the fridge for next time, it will stay active, without feeding, for several months in the fridge.

      Delete