Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Cucumber Juice

I had a ton of cucumbers in the fridge. I had more to pick outside, but no place to put them. So today I decided to deal with the excess. I have plenty of pickles in my fridge and pantry. One of commenter suggested juicing them. I don't own a juicer but I figured it couldn't be too hard. I just washed them and sliced them up and tossed them in the blender with a touch of salt. It worked well. I strained it with a piece of muslin. I have a stack of muslin squares in my kitchen because I've never been a fan of cheese cloth. Muslin is easy to wash without destroying.

As I was making it, I was wondering if other people cooked it to make juice. So I looked up what others did and no they don't cook it. But they do peel it and sometimes even seed it. Why in the world would you take out the most nutritious part of the cucumber when juicing? I know there probably isn't a lot of juice in the peel and not much would go into the final product. But it seems like a lot of work for no benefit.

But it sure made the final product green, green, green. I was a bit surprised that cucumber juice is opaque.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. I doubt I'll just drink it as is. I'm a water girl and I rarely drink flavored drinks for quenching my thirst. I can see it could be a nice addition to some soups. But I'm most excited about trying it with gin in different combinations. Maybe with some dried celery leaves (too bad I can't eat tomatoes as those would go well with this). Or maybe with lime. Or lime and mint. A cucumber margarita might also be nice. I'll probably freeze most of the juice as ice cubes as it would be a better serving size for drinks. And I can have it all winter long.

9 comments:

  1. I never thought about making cucumber juice – a cucumber margarita is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very unusual. Not a juice I would crave though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 part cucumber juice. 1 part vodka - a good one. dill to taste - I use dill weed ground. hot pepper juice or powder to taste. 1 tbl honey - or to taste. ice. lots of ice. Salt & Pepper.

    I bartended for years. This would work for you. Me I'd add some awesome tomato juice as well, but know you can't try this combo....let me know how it is....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have thought of making cucumber juice - but I guess that's not surprising as I'm not really a juicer. It is, however, an absolutely lovely shade of green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe use it as the base for a chilled summer soup? I love the idea of a cucumber juice cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I;ve never heard of juicing cucumber - really us green! I had to laugh about you being a water girl and them moving swiftly on to tyalk about gin :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a cucumber martini, 2 oz. cucumber juice and 2 oz. Hendricks gin. For the pulp, I saw a suggestion to use it to make tzatziki.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love cucumber juice! I haven't, however, juiced as much as you have ;-) I will often throw a cucumber in with other veggies I'm juicing to add in that light, refreshing flavor to balance some of the other more intense veggies.

    ReplyDelete