Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Peaches

Can you say PEACHES? This is one over abundance that I will never complain about. I picked these off my tree yesterday morning. There are still a lot of peaches left on the tree. So I'm celebrating. Since the trees are part of the landscaping these are split between my townhouse mates and me. So they get half and I get half. They have four people that have to share them all, but here it is just me as my husband doesn't eat peaches (yes crazy I know). So I get a lot all to myself. And nope I'm not sharing.

I ate two yesterday and three today. I'm trying to eat the ripest ones first. Some will need a few days to ripen on the counter. But I'm really hoping that there will be more than I can eat. I want to be able to preserve them for the first time ever. Should I just can plain peaches to eat at lunch? Should I can a mix for peach cobbler? Should I make a peach rum sauce? Peach jam? Peach butter? Peach syrup? Peach leather? Peach cordial? Or just freeze them plain for my smoothies? Argggghh so many choices. What would you make?

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I can almost smell them from here! Delicious! Personally, nothing better than griddled peaches with a touch of vanilla sugar and a blob of thick yogurt - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you! I have nary a peach this year!! When I do have peaches I like to freeze them in a syrup as we think they taste almost fresh that way. Of course, love to just eat them sliced with a little sugar too. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How absolutely wonderful! Having never had a peach tree (or too many peaches for that matter), I don't have any suggestions. But what I do know is that an overabundance of choices in this regard is never a bad thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So totally awesome! Congratulations and I hope for more peaches than you can eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had too many peaches to eat fresh I would probably simply dry them, I love dried peaches. Or perhaps I would make fruit leather. Who ever thought up the term fruit leather, it sounds awful, but it is tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peaches are one of the few things I like about summer and yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so so envious both our peach and nectarine developed peach leaf curl and didn't produce anything.They are moving into the greenhouse soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for fresh peaches!! I say freeze for best taste and jam for best flavored canning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! How old is your tree to get so many peaches? Ours is 4 years (2 since we planted) and we've been stripping it of all flowers/fruit, but hoping for next year to keep a handful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in its fourth year here. It gave a nice bit of fruit last year, but this year so much more. It is a dwarf and has reached about full size already, so no reason to let it grow anymore I have pruned it so it stays pretty short though. I probably should have let it get a bit taller, but it does make it easy to work.

      Delete