Monday, March 31, 2014

Harvest Monday, 31 March 2014

Dinners have become really predictable. My protein, brown rice, and a couple of vegetables.

The vegetables might change but are mostly from the garden. All of the ones pictured above are.

But my favorite meal was a lunch. It was a coconut milk and squash soup. The butternuts were from the garden. I also added some ground turkey, brown rice, an apple, onions, celery, fresh ginger, cumin, and garlic (from the garden). But for various reasons, I ended up with a lot of left overs that needed to be eaten up. So I ended up freezing most of the soup so nothing would go to waste. This week I'll get to defrost it and have some again.

This week will see a warm up. So I think I'll be able to get some of my seedlings out to harden off. These are just some lettuce and baby Asian greens. Not many, but I can't wait to eat some fresh food from the garden. I've been buying a lot from the grocery store recently. Dinner vegetables are still mostly from my stores, but the rest of the day is bought from the grocery. I even tried to find some mizuna at the store. Sadly no one seems to sell it. The lettuce looked so sad. There wasn't much of it and what was there was not a great quality. Is this the fault of the drought in California? Spring had better come soon so I can have some good greens. But at least we have normal temperatures after today (yes our "warmup" means normal temps). That will be a welcome change.

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

14 comments:

  1. I do wonder what effect of the drought will be seeing in produce. A friend who grew up in the San Joaquin Valley was shocked to see the fields laying fallow and dead orchards on a recent trip. Perhaps you read my post on the topic: Why 2014 may be the year to plant a garden. http://ediblegardenspointloma.tumblr.com/post/80055000764/why-2014-may-be-the-year-to-plant-a-garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I read that one. It seems we are feeling the effect. When you can't get good lettuce at Whole Foods, you know the supply line has a problem somewhere.

      Delete
  2. Dang right! Bring on spring! We had stinking snow again yesterday!! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your diet has helped your health issues that you are trying to take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Harvest Monday post this week may be torture for you, the mild if dry winter has produced a bumper crop of spring veggies. Thank goodness I have a private well otherwise the veggies from my garden might be in short supply too. We've been getting a nice amount of rain lately, perhaps that will help with the lettuce supply. I hope your dietary experiments are helping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks good except for the coconut milk and squash soup! Not too sure about that one! LOL I do snitch a few small leaves of spinach from the cold frame so hope they are not too full of poison! Garden veggies cannot come too soon! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soup looks delicious. I would gladly accept any leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love soup, any kind of soup!
    It feels like spring here, keeping fingers crossed for another 3 weeks, hope the good weather stays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That all looks very tasty! nom nom nom.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. That soup looks delicious! Coconut milk is one of my favorite ingredients to cook with. I try to put out of my mind how much fat it can contain though. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We feel lucky that local farmers are producing greens to help sate our cravings, dreamt of scallions and broccoli last night...

    ReplyDelete