Friday, July 31, 2015

Garlic

My garlic had been drying in our bike shed for three weeks. The occasional dirt shower had to be endured as we got our bikes out to use. All the appropriate vampire jokes were told. But it was time to cut the garlic down and finally clean it up and put it in storage. Going down to my basement when I run out of garlic is so much easier than running to the bike shed.

The yield wasn't spectacular. Out of the five years I have had this garden, it ranks fourth in production. I did get some nice bulbs, but I also got a lot of small bulbs. Above is the range from big to small. The big was 2.6 oz and the small was 1 oz. While it isn't a huge yield, it is more than enough for me. And to share. I dumped about six bulbs on my townhouse mates' counter. I'm sure they will eat a lot more of it over time. I grow way more than I can eat.

8 comments:

  1. I would say that 1 oz. is a very respectable size for your smallest bulb. I had many bulbs last year that were half that size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was one of your townhouse mates :) Would love to have fresh garlic dumped on my counter ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would last us about a month! We use a lot of garlic in our cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We grow more than we can eat too. The trouble is you never know whether it will grow at all when you plant it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you got a nice range of sizes. I had some runts smaller than 1 oz, though not many. I get a lot of variation in my garlic too from year to year. And I'm with Mark, we use a lot of garlic here too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a spectacular harvest? Ouch! That is four times the harvest I just pulled up. And I'm wondering what on earth I'm going to do with 27 heads of garlic. Well, not what to do with it so much as how to store it in hot southern California with no basement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Daphne, Nice harvest of garlic. I am lazy and use the kind out of the jar! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! I actually prefer smaller bulbs, so none of the cloves get forgotten and dried out after using just part of a bulb. I planted some garlic last year but it disappeared. Any below-ground crop is a exercise in relentless optimism here.

    ReplyDelete