Monday, July 6, 2015

Harvest Monday, 6 July 2015

I had to pull up a couple of extra celery plants. I don't usually pull full heads at this time of the year, but these were extra plants that weren't in the celery block. And I needed the space for my amaranth. At this point they are pretty small, but they are so much nicer than in previous years at this time. I think it will be a banner celery year if this keeps up.

I picked some lettuce to make way for the next succession.

I harvested a lot of parsley to dry. I'm hoping to do this several times over the summer. I also want to freeze some fresh.

All the peas were pulled to make way for the amaranth. I probably could have gotten another flush of snowpeas from the plants, but it would have taken too long.

I pulled the first two cabbages. The round one is Golden Acre. The pointy one is Early Jersey.

My kale and chard are still doing well. I usually pick my chard without the stems as I take them out in the garden. This time it was about to pour, so I picked them fast and had to remove the stems indoors. I know a lot of people love chard stems, but I don't. So to me they are just compost.

I picked several pounds of carrots. I went camping from Thursday to Sunday and I needed the easy to eat vegetables. I also brought the chard, the last of the broccoli heads, and some pickled kohlrabi. BTW I really love the kohlrabi pickles (thanks Dave for the idea). I have a larger batch getting pickled right now.

Though I forgot the photos, I picked the last of the strawberries. There were just a few left. And some raspberries.

  • Carrots, 3.41 lbs
  • Greens, 9.29 lbs
  • Herbs, 0.56 lbs
  • Peas 1.48 lbs
  • Weekly total, 14.64
  • Yearly total, 182.78 lbs, $338.72

  • Fruits
  • Strawberries, 0.13 lbs
  • Raspberries, 0.35 lbs
  • Fruit Yearly total, 27.51 lbs

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

24 comments:

  1. Your celery looks good! I enjoy it at that size. It seems more tender and milder in flavor. Pickled kohrabi sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice varied harvest, the pea shoots would make a lovely stir-fry side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful harvest. Really impressive job on the cabbages. Did you cover them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Typical beautiful harvests. I'm impressed especially with the celery; something I have not tried growing. You make it look easy. And I've got to hand it to you; when most people go camping they bring all sorts of junk food. You are the healthiest camper ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly I was really good. I did bring some chips though. I don't eat them at home, but they were my treat for the trip.

      Delete
  5. Looks beautiful! Never had a good success with celery in past so glad to see it worked well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to plant up some fresh parsley now as last year's is dying back. Did you have to tease me with those lovely carrots?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous harvests! Especially envious of the carrots - I finally sowed mine last week & am now anxiously waiting for them to come up - keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any slug issues!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such variety! You compress my year-long harvests into a shorter time. You are busy these days, I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking harvest, as always. The cabbage looks fantastic (I'll be lucky to have some fully grown by October!). I've also just pulled my peas to make room for the fall planting of broccoli, cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, looking good. I'm jealous of the celery, ours is looking terrible this year. We only have 2 plants that have survived. That's a very nice looking bunch of parsley. What variety do you grow? Looks a lot different than the one we are growing this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grow Krausa. I would love a flat leaved one, but so far I haven't found one that grows well here.

      Delete
  11. The celery is so good when it's young like that. I wish I had some in my garden now to add to my salads, but I didn't get my spring sowing into the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oo! That cabbage is so pretty! That is another vegetable with which I have trouble. Each year I learn more and adjust for the next. Gardening is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful cabbages and carrots!
    I have 4 cabbages growing but use as trap crop, they are infested with aphids and lots of lady bugs there, I'll keep the plants alive as long the aphids don't touch other veggies in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is some lovely cabbage. And I'm glad you liked the kohlrabi pickles! I just put a jar in the frig yesterday. I still need to make some kohlrabi kraut too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have any cabbages this year, but plenty of broccoli - but its a long way before harvesting, I am especially admiring your kale, a favourite of mine. I have more strawberries to share, but also some raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of greens -- I'm envious. We tried cool-cold weather items over the winter and by the time spring rolled around we figured we'd just "sit on it" until warm season. Maybe next year.

    A.J. Coltrane -- Cheap Seat Eats

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wish I could grow celery. I've tried it three times, in the beds and SWC's with no success. That's an amazing amount of greens.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great selection of harvests. I have some flat parsley seedlings come up in my tomato compost, so hopefully I can transplant from there when they're big enough.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your lettuce looks good even rolling into July. Wow and your celery and carrots are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well , I sound a bit like all of the others but that cabbage does look great! It is one crop that I haven't tried to grow yet, so maybe I will give it a go next year. I also am envious of that carrot crop. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. All of your greens look so good. I am envious as I can't do that well here. :(

    ReplyDelete