Thursday, June 12, 2008

Alas Poor Lettuce. I Knew Him Well.

Well this will NOT be the year forever known as the year without peas. Yesterday only got to 87F and guess what? My peas started setting fruit in the cooler weather. Well maybe 87F isn't cool but it was 10 degrees cooler than the day before. I'm thrilled. I'm psyched. I was doing my happy dance in the garden this morning and the neighbors thought I was nuts.

I'm guessing no one was around to see me start crying the next minute, or they would have talked to me about therapy options. My peonies that have been only blooming for four days have started to die. NO they are not allowed to do this. I have a stunning photo of one of them ready for bloom day this Sunday. Surely they could last a week, but no, there is only one flower left on that plant and it is on its last legs. Sob. And my lettuce is bolting. Yes I have not dug up one full head of this kind of lettuce yet, just the thinnings. I was looking forward to the first one. I have photos documenting its wonderful progress. I give them to you here as a eulogy. Poor lettuce. You were greatly loved. But you would have been loved more if you hadn't started bolting. Sniff. I should have thrown the dying peony petals over their corpses in farewell. But of course I didn't. I picked them. I'm going to eat them anyway through bitter tears (or bitter leaves I can't tell the difference).

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this crazy weather we all are having! Thank goodness your peas are at least going to make it. Mine seem to be hibernating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy my peas have set. Sometimes I think is it a little silly I get so happy about it, with all the flooding in Iowa (not to mention worse in the rest of the world). My little heat wave was nothing. But still, I'm very happy my peas have set. I love fresh peas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lettuce is also ready to bolt, although I just read about a strategy to prevent/stave off bolting. Transplant the plant, or root prune it. It tricks the lettuce into regrowing rather than flowering. What the heck, its worth a try to prevent the bitter bolt, eh?

    BTW, I'm loving your blog, I'm glad you found Henbogle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I left one in the garden. I'll try root pruning and see if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I got my peas in too late. They are still fairly small and no flowering. I hope I get some peas! boo hoo!

    ReplyDelete