Friday, June 20, 2008

Tagged

I've been tagged by Kanak from halfway around the world- Guwahati, Assam, India, so of course I must play. The rules are as follows:

  • Link to the person who tagged you.
  • Post the rules on the blog.
  • Write six random things about yourself.
  • Tag six people at the end of your post.
  • Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
  • Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

So I need six random things that "you" don't know about me. Of course who "you" are is very variable. My husband reads my blog and sometimes my son. They probably know all the things I would possibly write:

  1. My father thinks I'm fickle, since I haven't stayed in one profession very long. I have a degree in chemistry (hated the politics and hated the chemicals); then went to art school; painted for a short while (had kids and found I couldn't paint while tending kids); stayed home with my kids (they grew up and didn't need me as much); programmed (they shut down the office on me, but I missed my kids so stayed home with them some more and started beading); now I'm a beadweaver and make jewelry. Will I do something else at some point? Maybe. My husband doesn't think I'm fickle. I've been married to him for 24 years now.
  2. I was a river rat as a kid. The first river I rowed was the River of No Return when I was 16. Don't you love that nickname? Its real name is the Middle Fork of the Salmon in Idaho. This was before such things were really popular. Now everyone does it. My dad helped make kayaking popular in the US. Before you could go to a store and buy a kayak, my dad taught classes on how to make your own. I grew up watching kayak races, though have never been a whitewater kayaker myself. I like rafts in whitewater.
  3. My daughter and I backpacked a hundred miles of the Long Trail one summer. We had so much fun together even though it poured on us almost every day.
  4. I go to one or two science fiction conventions every year. Yes I'm a strange person that dresses up in costumes. My husband has always loved the conventions (he took me to my first one), but it took arm twisting for him to dress up. Once I made him a wizard's costume in black silk with a dragon beaded on the front (huge dragon, tons of beads) he was a convert. My favorite costume is a druid costume. I made it using an old Irish dress pattern and it has vines twining up from the bottom done in appliqué and beadwork around each leaf. My favorite part of the conventions is volunteering. The greatest people are the ones that volunteer there and when you volunteer you get to meet them all.
  5. I'm proud of my nephew that is going to go to grad school at my alma mater, MIT (yes I'm a nerd, couldn't you guess that from number 4?) and is going to work on the moon project. And how could I be proud of my nephew without being proud of my own kids? My son is going to Brown to study computers and my daughter to WPI to study physics and her senior project is on quantum computing. Yes the whole family is happy talking nerdly and we are proud of it.
  6. Writing is hard for me. I'm doing this blog as a challenge to myself.

So now I must tag six people. Just so the people know, you don't have to play if you don't want to.

So why do we play such silly tag games. I would never do chain letters as a kid. Well it gets you linked into other blogs. Bloggers are always looking for more readers and search engines like that. And it lets you know a little more about your blogger.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Daphne - thanks for tagging me! My six random things are now out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tag. It'll probably take me a few days to come up with a post. I enjoyed reading yours! It sounds like you've had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are a scifi geek! My husband is too. He got me into Battlestar Galactica, but it is rare for me to participate in his scifi geekdomness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daphne,
    Wow! Reading this post made me feel so glad I tagged you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun tag Daphne! My post is up.
    http://compostings.wordpress.com/2008/06/21/a-game-of-tag/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was fun to play. I'm so happy so many elected to play in kind. I liked learning about some of my favorite blogs.

    ReplyDelete