Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mother Nature's Revenge

We are on our fourth day of the uncalled for heat wave. Just when I smugly think my garden is doing well, mother nature decides to teach me a lesson. The basils that I bought a few days ago are getting hardened off, but not in a nice way. I watered them yesterday, but didn't want to go out in the evening to check them again. It was too hot. So my punishment this morning is wilted basil. I swear they were well watered. I even put them in a spot with afternoon shade. At least they perked up after a drink.


My peas on the other hand were wilting dreadfully all day yesterday. The top 3-6" were just pitiful. Then we got some strong wind and they were partially knocked down. I thought this variety only went to 24" so I didn't have tall enough twine. I fixed that this morning and while tying them up noticed that my peas had been burnt yesterday. If you look at the photo, right above the blossom, two of the leaf tips are black. Ack! The flowers aren't lasting and falling off. Of course it is too hot to set peas.

The peas are not the only burnt plant. My hostas are starting to get burnt too. I often plant them in full sun. I know; I know; they are shade plants and I'm just getting what is coming to me. They usually do extremely well in the sun. Our summers are not terribly hot, but the new foliage just can't take the early heat wave.

At least some plants are thriving on the heat. My cucumber has started setting cukes. The first two on this plant are shriveling up to die, but if you look at the photo closely, you can see the third node a cucumber has started growing. To complement my cukes, my dill is beautiful. I'm really hoping I get a lot of cukes before my dill goes to seed, but I suspect it won't be long. That will be my cue to make dill pickles. Yum.

At least the cucurbits will distract me from my dying peas. My neighbor said this will be forever known as the summer without peas, but I'm still holding out. We will get back in the 70s in a few days, and maybe they will revive themselves. Or am I just being overly optimistic?



2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking yesterday that the only good think about the unseasonably COOL temps we're having is that the lettuces and chard have not bolted and the peas are exploding. Now the tomatoes, peppers and squash are most unhappy. Hopefully if your temps cool down the peas will recover somewhat. --Curmudgeon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I always make sure I have cool and warm weather plants, since we can get either kind of summer here. It means I always get something from the garden, but usually have trouble with something too.

    ReplyDelete