Thursday, December 17, 2009

On Giving and Your Seeds

I've been busy labeling seed packets and packaging them up. For small items I tend to put them in cards. I went through my cards deciding which ones to send out and ran across some Canyon Ranch cards that were a gift for staying there (the times I've been there were a gift from my very generous MIL). They are all have inspirational sayings on them and as I was packing up the seeds they seemed very apropos.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt. I thought this one very spot on for those of you who told me you are using the seed to start a new garden. What is a garden but hopes and dreams? Sometimes they are realized and sometimes not, but they are all beautiful.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi. This is probably my all time favorite quote. I've quoted it to my son before when he was railing against the world one day. It takes the golden rule one step farther. What is my seed giveaway but what I want to see in the world? I want to see generosity. I want to see people growing their own food. I want to see responsibility. I want people to see the miracle in a seed.

"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." - Henry James.

With my family we've stopped giving gifts (except for kids under 18). I never liked the whole commercial Christmas extravaganza. I think it is a little out of control. But I still like to give so for me this year it is seeds to all of you. My mother and uncle solved the problem years ago by giving charity gifts to each other which is a marvelous idea.

As an update on the seed. I hand delivered one yesterday. I braved the PO today and shipped off 17 more in the morning. And I have one on the counter to go in the mailbox tomorrow. I hope I got them all right and didn't miss any. If you haven't gotten it in a couple of weeks (or three to four weeks for non US) ask me again and I'll reship any seed that I still have. And BTW none of you got the cards with the quotes. I'm not quite willing to give them up yet. Maybe next year. For now you had to live with cards by the Nature Conservancy and Rails to Trails.

10 comments:

  1. What lovely thoughts, Daphne.

    I just returned from the PO. I wish I could have sent you more...I tried ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Tis the season for giving, and there's no better way than to give seeds to gardeners. I can't wait to try that lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quotes. Makes me think about what my garden represents. I'm giving baked goods this year to people. Fun, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to get my goodies in the mail! I loved the Gandhi quote! It fits my life perfectly right now! Thank you so much for your generosity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eleanor Roosevelt must have been a really amazing person. She'd definitely be someone I'd like to sit down and have tea and conversation with. I'd like to know more about her victory garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Granny, :>

    EG, I can't think of a better gift. Hmm maybe if you built me an automatic compost turner. JK I actually like turning the compost pile by hand - well fork.

    Kalena Michele, I used to do cookies when the kids were little. We made round the world cookies and made little flags on toothpicks to label them.

    Tenessa, I hope they grow well for you.

    Thomas, I'd love to know more too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quote from Ghandi is one of my all time favorites too.

    Thank you for your generosity and for sharing those quotes. Both are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful quotes...Thanks so much for the seeds

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who doesn't like mail? Especially if it isn't bills or junk mail!
    Looking forward to a surprise in my mailbox :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless you, Daphne! My aunt let me know that she'd contributed to Heifer International in our name this year, and I was so thrilled! Looking forward to my seeds, and to getting yours in the mail!

    ReplyDelete