Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Yesterday Was A Good Day

I had a shift at the store yesterday. As many of you know I'm a crafter and belong to Sign of the Dove, an artist's cooperative in Porter Square. Our members do all the work at the store including the shifts. Usually things are pretty dead. The economy has been bad, so not many want to spend extra money for hand made items when they can buy something cheaper at some big box store.

Yesterday seemed like before the recession hit. We had a lot of people in the store and they were all very happy. It is fun when the customers are in a good mood and want to chat. Everyone seemed to be in the holiday spirit. Even customers that didn't know one another were laughing together.

But even better was when I got home and opened the mail. I received three envelopes, all seed from my blogging friends. Becky's was especially fun since she sent a hummingbird card and inside was some of her scarlet runner beans. Scarlet runner beans attract humming birds. I've only once seen a humming bird in my garden. It came and decided not to stay and quickly hummed away. I planted bee balm in my garden this year (no blooms the first year) to try to get them to stay in the garden. Maybe they will come to my scarlet runner beans?

Then came the envelope from EG. Somehow he didn't make it on the list I made yesterday (must have got lost when sorting the list). Sorry EG! He sent me some unnamed romaine and the best of all some Opalka tomatoes. I was going to buy them from Fedco as they raved about the taste. I had dithered about getting the early Heinz tomatoes (which would probably grow better in my climate), but couldn't resist the Opalkas. So I jumped on getting them from EG. Then I could buy the Heinz from Fedco.

The last but not least for the seeds is some Paris Island romaine and Ching Chang bok choy from Granny. The bok choy seeds hadn't even been opened. Obviously Granny is not so into those Asian greens like I am. Maybe I should send them back and try to convert her. Nah! So now I have myself some Garden Girl seeds.

Then I noticed my husband had put a Fed Ex envelope on my chair. Fed Ex? What in the world was coming from Fed Ex? It was a $50 AmEx gift card. Whoo hoo! I won a contest from the Inadvertent Gardener. Interestingly enough it was from the Pork Board. You had to say how you use pork in the holidays (and every comment gave $5 of pork to the homeless). What I didn't say was that last year for Christmas we brought homemade Chinese pork buns. This year I'm bringing a ham. We are debating appetizers. I might bring a veggie black bean soup, but it might be homemade dumplings (gyoza). Maybe I'll just bring both. But for the gift certificate, you just know it is going to get spent on something garden related. I have such a huge list of things I would love for the garden.

And the best of all, my son came home from school yesterday. So now my whole family is home for the holidays. I wish everyday would be so fabulous.

19 comments:

  1. Fantastic! What a wonderful start to the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daphne,
    Sounds good to see people buying local and not at those crappy big box stores!

    Have a Great Christmas and very happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unexpected gifts are always the best. Also, that's wonderful about the foot traffic to your store. Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love days like that. I hope 2010 is filled with many more days of the same caliber for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad they got there! That's ok on the package for me - I can wait a little longer, no biggie. I hope you enjoy those Opalka tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Aren't gardening people just good people??? Awesome post Daphne. Made me feel all warm and happy inside. I LOVE LOVE buying handmade and will gladly buy handmade anytime I can. I LIVE on Etsy this time of year too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ribbit, it was indeed.

    Randy Emmitt, Kalena Michelle, kitsapfg, Happy holidays to all of you too. I hope your New Year is great.

    EG, I did send out your seed so it ought to get there any day now.

    Kate, yes gardening people are wonderful. Everyone is so generous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good Daphne, enjoy the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had an excellent day! Mine was great as well, saw a young eagle here in brantford, then saw three together in paris, on (just down the road). Then came home to two seed trades in my box, one from you. Many thanks for the seeds, I will get yours on their way once the beans are in. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lucky are you?! The seed packets are so pretty, you have an awesome $50 to spend on gardening stuff and I'm so happy your son is home too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love getting seeds in the mail. Wanted to wish you a happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such great gifts! I can't wait to see how they turn out in your garden next summer.

    Merry Christmas Daphne! Have a great time with your son and the rest of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas to you and yours! I hope your holiday is filled with happiness and time spent with loved ones!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Daphene, What an informative blog you have. Glad I found you on Blotanical. :)

    I've added you to my Southernpost.net blog roll.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to get an envelope into the mail today if it's the only thing I do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad it got there safely -- enjoy shopping for those garden goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need some friends who enjoy sharing seeds!!!! This is great... how lucky you are.
    I can't wait to follow you through the new year so I can see these seeds grow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two questions:

    Will the scarlet runner beans flower in your area?

    What kind of Jew are you eating all that pork? Must be reform... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mimi, yes they will. I grew them a couple of decades ago and they flower quite nicely. Well my husband is the Jewish one in the family not me. Even if he does love bacon cheese burgers. And yes reform.

    ReplyDelete