Monday, May 26, 2008

Worm Tea

Today’s chore was to spray the garden with worm casting tea. I don’t have the complicated aeration system that some people use. In fact most wouldn’t call it tea since it isn’t really brewed. It is just worm castings dissolved in water for a couple of days. I made two quarts and used my sprayer to spray all the plants. I had a little left over so I dumped it on the tomatoes along with the worm castings/dirt that hadn’t dissolved.

I noticed while spraying that one of my radishes was thinking about bolting, so I picked all of them but the tiniest. And of course I picked more cilantro. I’m barely making a dent in the cilantro.

I didn’t stay in the garden long. I just noted all the things I ought to be doing, like putting away the hoop tunnel for the tomatoes since it is warm enough for them now and putting up their cages. The perennial border needs weeding again. But not today. I just can’t be in the garden. I’m sniffling, sneezing and tired. Something is blooming that I’m allergic to. I noticed it most yesterday during my walk. I’m hoping it won’t last long since the weather is so nice.

2 comments:

  1. Have you used your worm tea in the past? Does it work well? I've been anxious to use tea, but am daunted by the brewing process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No this is the first time I've used it. Love Apple Farm has a howto on growing tomatoes and they just add a cup of castings to 2 gallons of water (no chlorine in the water) and let it sit for 2 days. They don't do the whole aeration process. I find the real brewing with all the aeration a little intimidating too, so have never done it. But she claims that this is also beneficial. You still have the same bacteria, just not as many. Hopefully it will help. I ought to do an experiment and do some with and some without to find out.

    ReplyDelete