Once the garlic had been pulled out of the bed it shared with the lettuce. It looked pretty crappy. The dill shared space with the garlic, but after pulling it couldn't stand up anymore. I decided it all needed to get pulled. Much of it wasn't harvested since I had plenty. It was compost fodder.
The problem with pulling all the garlic and dill is that it was shading my lettuce bed. Without it the lettuce was going to die a horrible death. We had a two day cool spell (hovering around 80F both days). I say cool spell but the reality is in a normal year it would be a normal temp. July's average high in our area is 82F. Not 90F even if it feels like that has become our norm. Saturday was the start of another heat wave, so I pulled half of the lettuce from the bed. The other half will have to try to survive the nasty heat that is predicted for us.
I did help the lettuce out by putting up some shade for it in the form of some old muslin. I was trying to shade it in the afternoon, but it turns out I had the above misplaced. I rearranged it this morning and I think it will now provide shade in the hottest part of the day. Poor lettuce. There were some little seedlings that I had direct seeded a while ago. Most of them gave up the ghost after Saturday's heat. The carrots that came up are struggling too. Many have succumbed and keeled over. I'm hoping I can get a good enough stand to survive, but it will be hard. I can get them to germinate, but that doesn't mean I can get them to live.